Atonement

He looked at the large group of people staring at him attentively. Hesitation surged within his heart as he tried to contemplate a way to make the highest commanders of Kiri and Konoha-two of the three great nations understand just what was coming for them all without appearing completely insane.

The Seven Ninja Swordsmen had nearly rebelled against him once when suspicions had arisen over his true identity, if not for Mangetsu's unwavering faith in him...the Hozuki heir had rebuked Zabuza severely for even considering such rumors. Haku, Ameyuri and Jinpachi had backed him making even Kisame relent.

Zabuza had been the lone voice of dissent...or voice of reason in the swordsmen's opinion, and he was not wrong if Naruto was being brutally honest.

If not for the Swordsmen's powers and influence over their shinobi, Zabuza would have been executed. Still, such dangerous actions could not go unpunished and the man found himself silently removed from the top leadership.

Zabuza was assigned command of their Navy, an important position but not one that was as glorious as the role of a Legion's General that would be fighting important battles for the growth of their new nation.

The remaining swordsmen had been relieved to not have one of their own be executed by the Mizukage for entertaining such conspiracies and accepted the verdict that Zabuza had to face.

In fact, this was the first time in a year when the man had even seen his former comrades or the Mizukage considering they had been campaigning while he was left behind to look after Maritime Security and Shipping lines in the rear with the Navy.

"Lord Fourth?"

Naruto was brought out of his thoughts when his wife gently called out to him and saw even Tobirama looking at him with concern.

"What does Iwagakure have to offer for requesting peace?" he asked calmly, from his seat in the center of the large conference table.

"Immediate ceasefire across all fronts. Land of Waterfall will remain independent with Iwagakure as their security guarantors should Kirigakure make any hostile moves. They are willing to admit their mistake in starting the Second Great Ninja War" explained Tobirama,

"Nonsense! They insult us with such an offer!" said General Jinpachi Munashi angrily,

"They want to end this war with a meaningless apology and no reparations when we have reached their doorstep? They can't be serious, Lord Tobirama" said General Mangetsu Hozuki, albeit a bit more calmly than his fellow swordsmen.

"They killed many of our shinobi and even some of our predecessors in the Seven Ninja Swordsmen!" reminded Zabuza heatedly,

"In response to you launching a badly planned invasion of their lands" retorted Shisui Uchiha, only to have Ameyuri Ringo slam her hand over the table.

"Then we'll just have to finish what our comrades started! Our legions will swarm their lands and crush them once and for all" threatened General Ameyuri Ringo,

"They have more men than you, General. Not to forget three Jinchuuriki now that the Land of Waterfall has allied with them to protect themselves from Kirigakure's relentless march. You have well maintained supply lines now, but if you stretch any further- your legions will be in trouble. Same goes for Konoha, sustaining a war further is not just impossible but foolish. Think about our people than your pride" rebuked Tsunade Senju,

Tobirama watched in painful silence as the two factions argued fiercely against each other, to think they were allies...

He looked at his son and respected him a bit more for being able to keep such fierce and ambitious Generals in line so far. There was no doubt of their power or battlefield leadership, but they were not able to understand the larger picture of the war and its effect on their economies and most importantly their people.