Spartan

He stared at the woman standing before him, his heart unable to believe her to be real. For the last ten years, she had been a ghost that had haunted his heart. A whisper in his dreams, a reminder of what he had lost.

She was an S, just like him.

A Spartan.

The only one apart from him who probably survived the massacre nearly ten years ago.

"Kushina?" he whispered in disbelief and faint hope in his shaky voice,

He remembered a young teenage girl, almost the same age as him with a fiery temper. She had never been one of the heavy hitters, but her skill with Fuinjutsu, Sensory ability, and booby traps surpassed his own by many degrees. Her healing prowess had been the best among all Spartans, even better than his own. Most importantly she could completely suppress her chakra making her invisible to any sensor ninjas, even him.

Ghost.

That had been her codename among the Spartans whom the world commonly knew as the S-program ninjas. Only the Uzumaki knew what the full form of that program truly was apart from the ones in it. Not even Konoha knew much about them and only discovered the truth after Hashirama's rescue at the hands of the Spartans.

"99" she replied back with a faint smile, confirming her unique number among the company size former Spartan unit of more than a hundred and twenty ninjas.

"47" he confirmed back his own unique number, earning a faint nod of acknowledgement from her.

He found himself hopping through trees as she did the same before they both met in a fierce embrace in the dark forest bombarded by heavy rains. A lone tear fell from his eye followed by a relieved chuckle as he hugged her more tightly across his chest, a part of him afraid of her vanishing if he let go of her.

Kushina felt the same as she returned his fierce and passionate hug, as memories of their past threatened to overwhelm her emotions. Only her training and years of isolation prevented her from tearing up, but she could not resist leaning back from the hug a few moments later to lower his facemask and kiss him passionately.

She felt his surprise on that gesture and his clear hesitance but he made no move to stop her.

She broke the kiss soon after knowing he was probably overwhelmed. After all, nobody expected him to remain composed if his former partner/girlfriend was revealed to be alive after nearly ten years of that massacre.

"How?" he whispered, still looking surprised.

She gave him a nod of consent making him activate his red eyes once more, the sight of which brought back a lot of memories for her. A moment later, he saw the answer to his question in her memories.

(Flashback: Ten Years Ago)

Kushina groaned in pain as she aimlessly stared at the pitch black sky above her shrouded by dark clouds. The heavy silence around her bore painfully over her heart, as did the sight of the corpses of her fellow Spartans laid around her.

Her only solace was the sight of hundreds of Kumogakure ninja mixed among the dead which was enough proof of the valiant fight the Spartans put up, however in the end it was not ninja that decimated the special ops forces of Uzu.

She gave the most hateful glare to the monstrous two tails raging a few kilometers away from her and the one who sent her comrades to their graves. If not for that beast, this battlefield would have been the grave of of Kumogakure's entire force. The bastards had seen how outmatched they were and the casualties they suffered at the hands of the Spartans forced them to bring their weapons of mass destruction to the frontlines in order to defeat similar weapons launched by Uzu.