Conquest

It couldn't be real...

And yet it was much to his shock and joy.

Tears fell freely from his eyes as he looked at the beautiful woman that had given him a reason to live, the one who had accepted him despite his burdens and had stood by him when he had lost everything and everyone in his life.

"Naruto..."

The disbelief in her familiar gaze was also marred in sadness when she looked at the state of the blonde Kage in front of her.

She barely had a moment before he stormed forward to wrap her in the most fiercest embrace of her life, her despair and alarm surged when she felt no pain from his crushing grip or the usual warmth of his body that she had become familiar with over the years.

She felt nothing.

He was sobbing openly while holding on to her fiercely, fearing if he let go then this priceless moment would fade and he would lose her again. It didn't matter when he felt no warmth in her body and the cold grip of her hands as she tried to console him. From the corner of his eyes, he saw her own turmoil but to her dismay no tears arrived in her lifeless eyes.

"I died, didn't I?" she whispered in a resigned voice,

It explained the lack of her own heartbeat, breathing, sensation or any emotion within her body.

Whatever this was...it was not natural.

It also explained her husband's horrible state and the cold entity that his chakra was slowly becoming.

She could barely feel faint traces of the man she had loved clinging to her.

"I'll make this right"

It was a mantra he kept repeating over and over as he clung to her, as if his very life depended on it and letting go would break him forever.

"I don't feel right, Naruto" she whispered hesitantly, making him finally stop crying and look at her a little calmly for the first time.

"I'll tell you everything...answer all your questions. But for now"

She nodded gently and allowed him to place a passionate kiss upon her lips. To her continued despair, she didn't feel any of the warmth or excitement that she always felt upon their union, even though she could see he was trying his very best to make it real and pour everything he felt for her.

It broke her heart to see him like this...and it was why she tried her best to comfort him with her cold and lifeless body, even if it was pointless in the end.

Ino was further saddened when she tried to hold him closer and felt him missing an entire arm. She had thought that she had imagined it, that this was all just a dream...but it was real much to her continued grief.

She wanted to cry out of joy and sadness but couldn't even produce tears which only made her even more miserable.

Finally, he broke the kiss and took a step back to look at her with his familiar bright smile present on his lips.

"I never thought I'd see you again" he whispered gratefully,

"I'm truly sorry for causing you so much pain, Naruto" she apologized sadly,

For the first time, she saw the pent up rage within his heart flare as his gaze hardened at her when she clutched her belly which was now devoid of any life.

"How could you do this me? To our child?" he asked angrily, his tone void of any warmth or mercy.

"Because we are shinobi. The future of our nation always comes first no matter the cost. You taught me that" she answered truthfully, yet the remorse in her voice was clearly present for him to hear.