No Mercy

(One Day Later: Land of Lightning)

Naruto gave a satisfied nod to himself as he stared at the pitch black night sky above him. The weather had turned extremely cold with the temperature dropping several degrees and visibility being greatly reduced. It was a testament to the unpredictable nature of these hills.

It reduced their operational efficiency but the same applied to the enemy as well.

He looked at his squad and saw them finishing their final preparations. Kisame and Mei were carrying as many small arms they could considering they would be joining him in their diversion while the rest of the team infiltrated the enemy castle in hopes of killing the Lightning Daimyo, his entire family and his top aides who had also taken refuge in this safe zone.

It would be a crippling blow to the Land of Lightning which could possibly also spark a civil war with other royals starting fighting among each other to become the next Daimyo. That would be the end of their nation as their enemies would pounce on that opportunity and destroy them completely.

Thanks to Kushina, he now knew exactly where his target was located and a less risky route they could use to infiltrate the location. It was only because of his former Spartan comrade that he felt quite confident in their chance of victory.

The White Castle.

The Lightning Daimyo, his top aides and the man's family had taken up residence in the castle made of precious stones and marbles. It was because of the Daimyo's wife insistence to be near the hot springs inside the castle in this brutish weather. The Daimyo was sympathetic to his family's condition as he had dragged them to this location for their safety and wanted to make them comfortable.

If only that man had cared about the misery he had brought across the world.

He looked at Zabuza, Haku, Ameyuri, Jinpachi and Mangetsu who would be the Infiltrating team. They were trying to carry only their most essential gear to comply with their objective of making a swift strike and an even more faster exfiltration.

The Commander walked towards the Mizukage's son, an action that was noticed by the younger boy who straightened up and gave him a confident smile. Naruto saw gratitude and growing loyalty for himself in those eyes ever since Mangetsu learned what the Commander had done to save his life.

The same admiring gaze reminding him of another boy he had known once.

He beckoned the Hozuki heir to follow him as they both stepped outside the cave which had became the base of operations of their squad.

"How is your shoulder?" asked Naruto,

"Much better. I am fit for duty, Commander" came the confident reply, earning a nod from the lone Namikaze.

"Lead your team well. They will be counting on you" advised Naruto, earning a hesitant look from the younger ninja.

"I still think you should choose someone else" whispered Mangetsu, which made Naruto smile a little.

"Have faith in yourself. You know what's at stake and you value the life of your comrades. Trust your instincts" reassured Naruto as he gently patted the boy's shoulder.

"How do you decide what is the right choice, Commander?" asked Mangetsu curiously, for as long as he could remember this man standing before him had made choices that always achieved victory.

"Every ninja makes a gamble with each mission. You make choices hoping them to be the right ones, but in truth nobody can foretell the outcome, not you or your team. Your true mettle is tested when your decision turns out to be the wrong one, what you do then decides whether you win or lose, live or die, are remembered as victors or the defeated" explained Naruto with a fleeting smile, as he imparted the wisdom taught to him by his own trainers in the Spartan program when he had asked a similar question years ago on being nominated to be the leader.