Battle of Hydara

(Land of Wind)

"He did what?"

Tobirama and Shin Nara were the only ones in their makeshift command tent who were not surprised by the news that their messenger had just brought in, unlike the Third Hokage and many of his commanders.

"The Mizukage dealt a crushing defeat to the Raikage inflicting heavy losses. He controls the seas and most of the North in the Land of Lightning. Kumogakure is on the backfoot and is being pushed back in their own lands" revealed the messenger, unable to conceal his own joy and disbelief at what he was reporting.

"He outsmarted the Raikage?" asked Danzo in disbelief,

"He did. Destroyed nearly half his army and supplies with barely any losses to his own forces" answered the messenger,

Stunned silence prevailed in the room as each shinobi tried to accept what they had just heard. Tobirama watched true hope arrive back into their eyes, one that had been building since their successful counter-invasion in the Land of Wind.

They had acted just as per Naruto's plan.

While he attacked the Land of Lightning with his full might making them pull back all their forces away from the Land of Fire's borders to protect their own lands, the Land of Fire gathered all its military might and launched a blitz attack against the weaker Land of Wind.

The Land of Wind had been preparing for a long invasion and was ready to fight a brutal guerrilla war as the invaders tried to conquer territory and then tried to hold it.

But to their surprise, the Fire ninjas started destroying key settlements, supply routes and rare natural resources of the desert nation which completely destroyed their economy. They didn't seek out great battles in the desert with the defenders who knew these lands better, now the Wind Daimyo was panicking and the sheer destruction had even made the Land of Earth stop all offensives against Konoha and pull back to defend their own territory as both of its allies faced death, destruction and conquest by a new alliance.

"You were right, Lord Nara. He is a conqueror, perhaps the finest military commander of our time. For even I never thought Kumogakure could be brought to such a brink of catastrophe. The tide of this war is changing" agreed Hiruzen with a faint smile,

"Don't underestimate the Raikage. As long as he lives, the enemy is not defeated. We must ensure he receives no support from his allies and for that we need to increase our attacks against Suna" warned Tobirama,

"You're right, sensei. Our men are exhausted but this news will bolster their morale and make them fight more fiercely" said Koharu confidently,

"It will be done" agreed Hiruzen, as he issued orders to their various commanders to ready their men for a renewed offensive now that the chance of victory on all fronts looked really possible.

"What of the Land of Lightning's populace? Their nation might be losing battles but as long as the spirit of its people is not broken there is still a chance of fighting back" asked Shin Nara seriously,

"As unbelievable as it may sound, the Mizukage is winning hearts with his generous and sometimes magnanimous treatment towards the civilian populace and any warrior willing to join his cause. Instead of barbarians, the people are finding a leader willing to look after their interests and ensure their protection if they joined his cause. The North was always poorly defended and neglected by the feudal lords and Raikage's of that nation, now they are paying a heavy price for that mistake. Even the coastal cities that are being raided by Kiri's navy have not seen much destruction except those of combatants, the Mizukage's tales are slowly but surely spreading across the entire Land of Lightning. Some are even calling him..." explained the messenger, only hesitating at the final part.