Chapter 1

Afternoon came along with the scorching sun in Danima. Being the warm city it was, people were walking about with either newspapers, trying to get some air onto their bodies or with mini battery operating fans. God bless Technology.

Maybe it was the heat all around that caused the heated argument between Dana and her Mother. Perhaps it was after all. Dana walked out of the house slamming the door behind her angrily. The neighbors made way for her to pass as she was known for her attitude when she had the look she had on her face at that moment. Her Mother made to go after her but stopped when she saw the neighbors waiting for her to begin her drama. Some even had their phones out all set to capture the moment.
She retreated into the house, cursing her husband for making them move into a gossip themed Estate.

“Mom!” Emilie screamed from the room. She ran into the living room clutching a piece of paper like it was evidence from a crime scene.

“What’s wrong?” Rose asked.

“Look Mom, Dana still got the form for the entrance exam to the Defense Academy” Emilie said, holding the piece of paper out.

Rose grabbed it and her eagle like eyes scanned the hold thing within a minute. She was annoyed now.

“This child is unbelievable” she said.

“Should we tell Dad?” Emilie asked.

“No, he’ll support her anyway” Rose said rejecting the idea. Her husband was known for over pampering their last daughter. She wasn't going to turn to him and have him side with Dana this time around. She was going to take action.

“Burn it” she said and walked out of the room.

“Dana’s gonna be really mad when she finds out” Emilie said.

Dana danced around the room holding her flip-flops as if they were a microphone. She was having a self concert. No, her sister was her audience. She sang a remix of a sound track from the famous Disney Cartoon she watched for the 15th time; 'The Lion King'. Except this time it was a 'mighty officer' and not a 'mighty king'.

“I’m gonna be a mighty Officer so enemies beware” she sang, dancing around the room.

Emilie, the one who was supposed to be her audience was trying to study but with the annoying and aggravating remix of the Lion King sound track, she read and re-read a line on her note book a thousand times.

“Shut it, I’m trying to concentrate” she said, glaring at Dana.

“I’m brushing up not looking down, I’m working on my target” Dana continued, completely ignoring her.

That was it. The last of Emilie's serenity. She picked the flip-flop beside her and threw it at Dana's direction and Dana, with her swift reflexes dodged the attack. That was a mistake on Emilie's part because it got Dana all excited.

“Whoa! Did you see that?” Dana asked.

She was so flabbergasted that without any form of military training she was able to dodge a flip flop from the attacking force; Emilie and she didn't notice that the flip-flop didn't touch the ground when it missed its initial target. Rose was right behind her fuming with rage.

“Sorry Mom” Emilie said with pleading eyes.

The flip-flop had found a formidable target. Dana turned around to see her ever angry Mother. No one needed to tell her that if she stood in front of her for another second she would be weeping the next. She ran quickly to Emilie and hid behind her.

“When will the two of you let me have peace in my own home?” Rose asked.

“Sorry” they chorused together.