Chapter 6

Three years later

Swart had managed to climb through the ladders in the military and had banged the position as the Minister of Defense. He still remained friends with Philips even after their bonding experience back at the now desolated training center. He had his plans to remove the likes of George from the military after getting into that position but from the looks of it, it wasn’t going to be easy.

“Congrats honey, you deserve to be the Minister of Defense” Hannah said, patting Swart’s shoulder.

“My friend, congratulations” Philips said, shaking hands with Swart.

“Thank you for coming” Swart said.

“The pleasure is all mine, I have to go now since the President summoned me” Philips said.

“Sure, thank you again” Swart said.

“Minister of Defense, Swart. Don’t you think what we did three years ago was worth it?” George asked.

He was now a retired Army General and already old and wrinkly but he was like the godfather in the military. He still controlled the President like he was a pun on his chess board because he had leverage against him.

“What did you do three years ago? Hannah asked.

“Oh, it’s nothing woman. Congratulations” George said and walked off.

Life went on for the people in Horki but the families of the late trainees were having it hard. Like Dana’s and the rest of her clique. Rose blamed herself for the past three years since the news of the explosion got to them.

She blamed herself for not insisting to let her daughter stay back. She wasn’t even able to get any remnant from her. There was no body, no uniform or military dog tag to use. It was just her name they had engraved in their hearts.

“Ahhhh…, today was hectic” Philips said as he sat on the sofa in his living room.

“Well, at least you are an Army General” Elisa, his wife said.

“Right, your husband is so cool isn’t he?” Philips asked, drawing laughter from her.

“Mom, Dad” Thelma called running into the living room.

“What’s wrong dear?” Elisa asked.

“I think someone has been following me but when I look over my shoulders I don’t see anyone. I’m sure someone’s following me though” Thelma complained.

“Since when?” Philips asked, getting up from his seat.

“All day” Thelma said. She looked visibly frightened.

“Relax, maybe they wanted to get an autograph or something from you since you are the Army General’s daughter” Philips said.

“Dad, autographs are meant for celebrities and you're not one” she said.

“Don’t worry, starting tomorrow I’ll get you bodyguards” Philips said.

“You hear that? Nothing will happen” Elisa assured.

“I hope so” Thelma said relaxing a bit.

“Good, so go get your shower, I’ll set the table” Elisa said getting up.

“Okay Mom” Thelma replied as she raced to her room.

“She looked pretty scared” Elisa said.

“Yeah” Philips agreed. He ran his hands up and down his thighs as he always did whenever he was anxious. He was in the Military so there was no way he was taking Thelma's words lightly.