Chapter 26

Pattie Andrews came home to a silent house. Living alone at thirty five and being a resident in Turner was supposed to suck badly but thanks to her job as a CIA agent she didn’t have the time to even breathe talk more of feel lonely. But today she felt it.

She felt her twenty three year old sister and her children rubbing her loneliness straight in her face.

Her living room was scattered with toys and banana peels. The television was left on and the rooms were in a mess. Her sister sure knew how to make her question her decision of not spreading her legs for everything that had a penis when she was in the University like she did.

If only she didn’t decide to focus on studying Criminology but human anatomy, specializing in the male gender, she would have probably gotten married and had seven children surrounding her table.

She picked up the dirt that lay on the floor and threw them in the trash then went ahead to open the fridge but it was also in a mess. There was no energy left in her to try to tidy of the fridge so she settled for the bag of biscuits and sat in front of the television but instead of getting an interesting and entertaining program to help relive her of the stress, the news popped up.

Report has gotten to our news desk from the Turner Military Training center that a soldier in training has carried out the act of Targeted shooting on her fellow trainees at the training center. It has not been confirmed what exactly it was that led to the suspect performing the act of fratricide but it is said that the military personnel are taking up the case as it falls under the Military criminal codes as a war crime

The suspect has been identified as Lewis Jones and a total of five survivors excluding the Instructor at the training center have been rescued and the suspect has been taken into interrogation by the Military Tribunal for trial” the news caster said.

Pattie thought the name of the suspect sounded familiar.

“Jones? Lewis Jones?” she thought out loud. Then it hit her.

Jones was the same as the last name the Finance Minister they were investigating had. Pattie took out her phone and searched for the Finance Minister’s family and there was a Lewis Jones amongst them.

“The Finance Minister’s daughter has been involved in Fragging. Not my problem though” she said.

The CIA had been trying to indict Minister Jones but she had been hiding under the Military banner. With her daughter committing a military crime the family had literally left their jurisdiction. 

Pattie walked out of the house to head to the store to get a proper meal. Not that the meal served at Mercyland’s groceries was a well balanced diet but it was better than nothing.

She walked into the street to see the residents of Antonio’s lane gathered together in groups, whispering about something. Or at least they thought they were whispering because Pattie could hear every single thing they were saying.

She nodded a hello to the old ladies and smiled at the others as she walked past them. They were all talking about the military trainee who went on a shooting spree and Pattie was convinced they were still people who watched the news like she did.

The television in Mercy’s store had the news Pattie just watched on repeat and she was beginning to get agitated by it.

“Mercy, can I get the second food set please?” she said and sat on the stool by the window.

Mercy was too engrossed in the news to hear her make her order. Pattie already had a shitty day and she didn’t need any other person to try and make her feel like she was invisible while everyone else was seen. She picked up the remote on the cashier’s station and switched the television off.