Chapter 31

Neville was on cloud nine when Guzman broke the news of their release from the hospital to them. She was happy she was going to finally see her family after escaping death. Her Mother and sister, even though she was annoying were going to be so happy that she was back and she also missed the neighborhood and the hostel which was named after her. So many thoughts went through her mind as she smiled all the way.

Evie too was happy but Alex looked like she didn't want to go home. Neville at first thought maybe she was one of those kids who didn't have anyone to return home to and that was the reason for Alex's constant grumpiness but when she asked, Alex was suspicious as to why they were being discharged.

The girls were taken aback by her suspicions. Wasn't she the one who was leading them at the front to protest their release? Now, they were giving it to them and she still claimed to have her doubts and suspicions.

"You're nuts" Evie concluded and made to get out of bed.

"No I'm not Evie. Am I the only one who sees this whole thing as a set up?" Alex asked.

"Yes" Guzman and the girls replied in unison.

"Shut the hell up Guzman. Neville, look around you. We weren't allowed to leave for almost three weeks now and all of a sudden we're going to be release and it just so happened that the news got to us the same time a secret message for Debbie, the sister of the shooter, came in" Alex said.

"What do you mean by, all of a sudden? It would have still happened suddenly Alex. Don't make an issue out of this" Neville said.

"Yes, it could all just be a coincidence" Evie said.

"I don't believe in coincidences. Alex said. Okay, why don't you show us the message Debbie? That way I can be at peace and be happy that I'm going home" she added.

"Go and die Alex" Debbie said.

Alex stood still and stared at Debbie with an open mouth. Telling her to die wasn't the right thing to say at that point but the girls could all agree that Alex was becoming too difficult to tolerate. She made to say something but a man in uniform walked in.

"Get a move on. You're leaving now" he said and walked out.

Guzman followed him to get ready and the girls too begun to get dressed. Alex kept her eyes on Debbie, waiting for the moment when the secret message given to her would fall off from her so she'd dive for it. But Debbie was careful and soon they were all standing outside, waiting for whoever it was that was going to take them to their families to show up.

While they were still waiting, a van pulled up in front of them and Debbie got in then the van drove off. Alex stood, perplexed and exchanged looks with the girls. Neville knew she was going to start with her conspiracy theory again so instead she said something first.

"Why did she leave first, officer?"

"Her family came to get her. Yours has been notified but we will take you there ourselves" the officer said and ushered them into another van.

They soon begun their journey and Neville wouldn't stop talking about how happy she was to be going back home.

"In my neighborhood my Mom has the biggest building there and it is named after me. A lot of people back there would be happy that I'm back" she said.

"Me too. Not that I have a building named after me or something but my Dad would be glad that I'm back home" Evie said.

"What about you Alex? You're excited to go home?" she asked.