Chapter 36

Monica was tired of waiting for the release of her daughter from the Military hospital or health center. Adan’s words kept ringing in her ears as she waited and waited patiently but to no avail. She woke up that day and got cardboards from Mr. Bateman’s book store next to Mercy’s and with Mercy’s help, got everything they needed to start a peaceful protest ready.

Mercy couldn’t help but think that maybe, just maybe Adan was right and the Military was planning to send her daughter somewhere far away to become a criminal who kills people on the government orders like they had seen from the numerous action series they entertained themselves with. That was what they thought, it wasn’t that the survivors were going to get killed but sent away. She wasn’t going to stand for it and her patience had worn out as well as the decorations she placed around the small community in light of Neville’s return.

“Are they being serious now?” Mini asked as she walked out with the girls to observe the protest.

“I think they are. You can see the cardboards, can’t you?” Blesse said.

“That’s not what I mean. They are protesting here and not in the city. How the fuck will the government or the Military get a hold of their protest?” Mini asked.

“Um, if Mira has become a reporter overnight then I think they would get a hold of it” Fae pointed out.

Miranda was doing the job of the reporter and interviewer, getting the protest on her camera. Fae saw that she was live-streaming the whole thing and Monica was doing a good job of shouting on top of her lungs for the release of her daughter while the other women flashed Neville’s picture around.

Fae waved at her when their eyes met and Mira stopped filming. She begun to stare at her and Fae smiled heartily as she walked down the stairs to join them.

“Fae, what the fuck are you doing? We have work to do” Mini said.

“I’ll just join them for the fun of it” Fae said and joined the crowd. Mira walked up to her and Fae took the phone she had in her hand from her.

“Let me help with that. Your hands must be tired” Fae said.

“Oh, thanks” Mira said and took her hair behind her ears. Monica made to say something to her but continued walking. Neville’s return was of more importance.

“So, your Mom must really love your sister, huh?” Fae asked.

“So much. I’m actually invincible to her” Mira answered.

“I see you though” Fae said and ran after the women to get the protest on camera while Mira stood still, wondering what she had met by seeing her.

“I can’t do it anymore” Monica said and sat on the ground, feeling exhausted. The other women too joined her and begun to drink from their water bottles.

Mira walked up to where Fae stood, staring, amused at the women and asked for the phone.

“Here you go” Fae said and handed it to her.

“Huh? The video isn’t being live-streamed again” Mira said.

Fae had ended the live-stream as soon as she took the phone from her. She wasn’t going to risk the survivors seeing the video and then finding out their parents didn’t really take any money from the Military in exchange for their lives like Mini had claimed or the Military finding the video then reaching out to the Spanish men they had slain to further confirm the death of the survivors.

“Oops! I must have pressed something by mistake. I hope you aren’t mad” Fae said.

“I’m not” Mira said and made to start another live-stream. Fae grabbed her hand and looked her in the eye.