Stay

Nick opened his mouth to speak, just as the chef approached them and handed over the first type of entrée. It was chicken and Tiffany made a comment about chicken being so common. Nick removed his hand from hers and took hold of his fork.

"So what is it Nicky?"

"Well...see...it's just that." Nick wasn't sure how he should say it. He poked at his food with the fork. Wondering how to word what he wanted to say. "It's just that Abby...she's..." He was kicking himself for not being able to just come out and say what he wanted, instead he was stuttering like a fool and Tiffany was starting to look worried. Delicately she took a bite of her food and chewed slowly waiting for Nick to spill whatever it was.

"What about Abby?"

"I need you to stay! I don't want you to go back."

Tiffany held her fork near her mouth and looked at him puzzled. "What?"

"Abby is a great girl and I'm really grateful for all her help, but...it's not the same. I need to do these things with you." So it didn't sound as smooth as it had in his head. He knew he sounded like a little child. "I need you to stay."

Tiffany moved the plate out of the way and smiled up at the chef as he introduced the next entrée; fish. She picked at her food and then looked up at Nick. "Oh Nick. I really want to stay and help you baby. I really do, but my job is just as important to me as marrying you. I need this career. Kevin would never let me go."

Nick's nose flared, "So this is all about Kevin?"

"NO!"

"Well since we are on the subject...why aren't you ever in your room. Huh? And when I call you he's always around and rushing you to get off the phone? I don't get it!"

Tiffany shook her head in disbelief and pushed the plate to the side. She glared at Nick and rolled her eyes. "Are you insinuating what I think you are?"

"I'm just trying to figure out why the hell being in New York with your boss is so much more fucking important than staying here with me to finish this damn wedding!"

She stood up and threw her napkin on the table. Then stormed out of the restaurant and into the chilly night.

"Where are you going?" He walked behind her.

"I couldn't continue to argue with you in front of that poor man." She spun around to face Nick. "This is not fair, Nick. I'm working my ass off to get this promotion and here you are thinking that I'm cheating on you. WITH MY BOSS!"

"What do you want me to think, Tiffany? I can never get a hold of you. Communication between us is close to nothing...." His hands flew up in the air, "I can't ask for your opinion on certain things. So, Abby and I are winging it with the decisions here...we don't even know how this is going to turn out."

"Abby is an amazing girl and she's easy to get along with. That's the reason why I picked her, I knew that you would get along just fine and you guys know me better than anyone else."

It wasn't as easy to make decisions based on what he knew about Tiffany anymore. He was starting to forget things. His biggest problem was the gravitational pull between him and Abby was driving him insane and he wanted to be as far away from her as possible. And so far his plan wasn't working. He didn't want to beg anymore, but he knew that if Tiffany left again, things were bound to get complicated.

"We do get along just fine. Of course, I have my asshole moments, but...I feel like I'm marrying Abby; not you!"

Tiffany's face expression softened and she walked up to Nick. "I swear that if I could, Nicky. I would be here doing this with you, it's just this is a really great opportunity and if I don't take advantage--" The twosome stared into each other's eyes. "I love you, Nick. I want to marry you. It's just that I want to be part of Kevin's law firm and I don't just want to be the girl that works as the paralegal."