Chapter-23 **

Marked with ** means the chapter contains smut. You'll find ** at the start of the smut part so if that's something that makes you uncomfortable, feel free to skip this part.

I watch as Lauren tells me about some new initiative she started in association with some South American charity that focuses on preserving rain water to increase the ground water level. I don't understand more than 2 sentences of it but the look on her face is captivating. Her eyes shine as she talks so passionately about this and I can't help but wonder how the fuck did I end up getting so lucky as to be even in the vicinity of such an amazing person.

She's a beautiful person, inside and out. I will admit that I was initially attracted to her because of her beauty but the more I get to know her, the more I realise that her outside beauty is nothing in comparison to the kind and considerate person she's on the inside.

She's the diamond in the mine filled with coal.

"Did you even get what I was just rambling about?" She laughs as she asks me, squinting her eyes in mock apprehension.

I lean in to give her a quick peck, "Not a word of it."

There's the sound of her angelic laugh again.

You're so obsessed with her. It's actually kind of pathetic.

"Since this is obviously boring you, wanna go swimming?" Her eyerbrows wiggles and a small smile plays on her lips.

"Yes. God, yes."

My reply makes her chuckle again, "But before that I have a very important question to ask?" The seriousness of my tone captures her attention.

"Were you like a fish in past life?" I burst out laughing and she releases a sigh of relief before following suit.

"Maybe. Or maybe I am a mermaid." There she goes with that cute eyebrow wiggle again. "Just living on the human land and helping preserve my ocean since you guys so recklessly pollute it."

"Let's test that theory. Mermaids grow tail in water, right?"

We continue our childish conversation as we walk upto the private beach she owns. The view is magnificent. It's sundown and the sky is filled with oranges and pinks and purples and it's like I'm seeing the sun for the first time.

"It's beautiful. " I mumble under my breath.

She breaths deeply, "Breathtaking. "

I look up to her only to realise she's been looking at me this whole time. A blush creeps up my face and I try to deflect by taking her hand and dragging her towards the shore.

The slow waves hit our feet and the ocean looks more beautiful than anything I've ever seen. I turn towards Lauren.

"Come here, you." She pulls me towards her, hands on my waist and I take a deep breath, inhaling her flowery perfume.

We lock eyes, she smiles a slow, shy smile. That's my favorite smile, the one that can be a weapon of mass destruction and I'm its current target.

Her hand supports the back of my neck, raising goosebumps on my nape and arms.

I just don't have butterflies in my stomach, I think they might be the whole damn zoo.

We share a comfortable moment of silence that I break by dragging her into the water. We splash water on each other, giggling like a bunch of middle school girls. She shows me her perfect back stroke and I try not to embarrass myself with my pathetic swimming. I would've paid more attention to my swimming lessons if I knew I was gonna end up liking a water baby. Lauren is in love with the water and the ocean and I can't help but fall in love with everything she likes.