Chapter-34

After the text scare last night, I texted Aiden to let him know that we need to find out who this person is sooner rather than later. He informed me that his friend was out of town yesterday and he will definitely get to it today.

The morning started normally with Bea's housekeeper waking us up at around noon and making us delicious waffles that I practically inhaled.

"Hey, I was thinking maybe I should go home. My parents are coming in today and I think I'd be safe there."

"Are you sure?" Bea's voice is laced with concern and I keep a gentle hand on her shoulder, reassuring her and myself that I will be okay.

"Yeah. Totally. "

"Okay. Only if you're absolutely sure."

I wasn't. But I lie anyway.

Bea's home feels more comfortable than mine ever did and I am dreading having to go back. Specially now that mommy and daddy dearest are going to be there.

Since I didn't bring my own car, B drops me off at my home on the way to the beach. She asks me if I want to join her but the idea of going to the beach, surrounding by all the people I went to school with, who knows about me and Lauren makes me sick right now.

I don't want to experience that anxiety on top of everything else that is already going on.

"Okay. Stay safe, boo." She kisses my cheek and boops my nose, something that used to annoy me to no extent but I hardly register that today. "Text me if you need anything. "

I nod a couple of times and then wave her goodbye.

The house looks the same as I left it. My car haphazardly parked in the driveway with no sign of my parent's car. Huh.

I check around the driveway for any suspicious activity or presence. Once satisfied with my evaluation, I unlock the door and enter inside.

Checking my notifications for any messgaes from my parents, I find one from last night informing me that their plan changed and they'll be coming in town next week instead. Classic.

That's Donna and Micheal Miller for you. I don't even know why I expected them to be home today and no idea why that thought brought me the comfort I am so much in need of lately. My parents aren't the best ones out there but they are still my parents and I wish for once they were here with me.

Sighing, I drop my keys on the kitchen island and head to my room. A nap should help.

Naps always help.

My room looks the same as I left it but somehow I feel different. The room that used to be my sanctuary from the outside world is now making me claustrophobic. Counting down to 10 like that pretty girl in a youtube video taught, I manage to get my nerves under control. Atleast for now.

I notice something sticking to my bedroom window. Eyebrows scrunched in confusion, I walk towards the only window in my room which actually leads to my balcony.

There's a small white envelope with something scrawled on it in a barely legible handwriting. Alarms go off in my head while I contemplate whether or not I should open it.

Curiosity wins me over and I pluck the envelope out of the window and sit on the floor near the balcony to open it.

A sweat breaks down my forehead when I read what's actually written on it:

To the biggest slut in town. You can't hide, Amber. I'm going to get you.

I don't know whether to scream or cry. I'm so sick and tired of this.