Chapter 75

No one's POV

They trudged down the dark, dark lane towards the village, the silence broken only by the sound of footsteps.

The sky lightened very slowly as they made their way through the village, its inky blackness diluting to deepest blue.

Harry turned to Daphne and held her hand before he felt how cold it was.

Mr. Weasley kept checking his watch.

They didn't have breath to spare for talking as they began to climb Stoatshead Hill, stumbling occasionally in hidden rabbit holes, slipping on thick black tuffets of grass.

Each breath that was taken felt sharp on the chest.

Kyle had been giving Ginny a piggyback ride when they began to walk up the hill and now put her down as they reached level ground.

"Whew." Panted Mr. Weasley, taking off his glasses and wiping them own his sweater.

"Well, we've made good time – we've got ten minutes..."

Hermione came over the crest of the hill last, clutching a stitch in her side.

"Now we just need the Portkey." Mr. Weasley said, placing his glasses back on and squinting around at the ground.

"It won't be big....come on...."

They spread out, searching.

They had only been at it for a couple of minutes, however, when a shout rent the still air.

"Over here, Arthur! Over here, son, we've got it!"

Two tall figures were silhouetted against the starry sky on the other side of the hilltop.

"Amos!" Mr Weasley said smiling as he strode over to the man who had shouted as the rest of them followed.

Mr. Weasley was shaking hands with a ruddy-faced wizardwith a scrubby brown beard, who was holding a mouldy looking old boot in his other hand.

"This is Amos Diggory, everyone." Mr. Weasley said.

"Works for the Department for the Regulation  and Control of Magical creatures, and I think you know his son, Cedric?"

Cedric Diggory was an extremely handsome boy of around seventeen.

He was captain and Seeker of the Hufflepuff house Quidditch team at Hogwarts.

"Hi." Cedric said, looking around at them all.

Everybody said "hi" back except for Fred and George, who merely nodded.

They had never quite forgiven Cedric for beating their team, Gryffindor, in the first Quidditch match of the previous year.

"Long walk, Arthur?" Cedric's father asked.

"Not too bad." Mr. Weasley said.

"We live just on the other side of the village here, you?"

"Had to get up at two, didn't we, Ced? I tell you, I'll be glad when he's got his Apparition test, still....not complaining...Quidditch World Cup, wouldn't miss it for a sack full of Galleons – and the tickets cost about that, mind you, looks like I got off easy...."

Amos Diggory peered good-naturedlt around at the three Weasley boys, Harry, Daphne, Hermione, Kyle and Ginny.

"All these yours, Arthur?"

"Oh, no, only the redheads." Mr. Weasley said, pointing out his children.

"This is Hermione, friend of Jessie, Kyle another friend and Harry's wife Daphne and of course Harry and Jessie."

"Merlin's beard." Amos Diggory said, his eyes widening.

"The Potter twins?"

"Yes." Harry said and Jessie nodded.

Harry let go of Daphne's hand as he walked over to Jessie, even though he knew his sister could take care of herself he still didn't like when people looked curiously at them.

"Ced's talked about you, of course." Amos Diggory said.

"Told us all about playing against you last year, Jessie....I said to him, I said – Ced, that'll be something to tell your grandchildren, that will....you beat Jessica Potter!"

Harry's eye narrowed as he reached for his wand, what exactly he had planned was not something good.

Just as he was about to pull it out of his holster Daphne put a hand on his.

"Don't." She said and Harry frowned but nodded.

He along with George and Fred glared at Cedric's father.

"My sister was being attacked by Dementors that is why she fell off her broom." Harry snarled.

"Yes, but Ced didn't fall off, did he?" Amos roared genially, slapping his sons back.

"Always modest, Our Ced, always the gentlemen...but the best man won, I'm sure Jessie'd say the same, wouldn't you, eh? One falls off their broom, one stays on, you don't need to be a genius to tell which ones the better flier!"

Harry was about to attack him and Kyle was about to as well when Mr. Weasley interrupted.

"Must be nearly time." Mr. Weasley said quickly, pulling out his watch again.

"Do you know whether we're waiting for any more, Amos?"

"No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn't get tickets." Mr Diggory said.

"There aren't any more of us in this area, are there?"

"Not that I know of." Mr Weasley said.

"Yes, it's a minute off...we'd better get ready..."

He looked at the kids.

"You just need to touch the Portkey, that's all, a finger will do-"

With difficulty, owing to the bulky backpacks, they all crowded around the old boot held by Amos Diggory.

They all stood there, in a tight circle, as a chill breeze swept over the hilltop.

Nobody spoke, it suddenly occured to Kyle how odd it would look if a Muggle were to walk up here now....such a large group of people, two grown men, clutching a manky old boot in the semi-darkness, waiting...

"Three...." Mr Weasley muttered, one eye still on the watch.

"Two...one..."

It happened immediately: Harry felt as though a hook just behind his navel suddenly jerked irresistibly forwards.

Their feet had left the ground, he could feel Daphne and Kyle on either side of him, their shoulders banging into his, they were all speeding forwards in a bowl of wind and swirling colour, his forefinger was stuck to the boot as though it was pulling him magnetically onwards and then–

His feet slammed into the ground, Kyle staggered into him and they almost fell over, the Portkey hit the ground near him with a heavy thud.

Harry looked around, Mr Weasley, Mr Diggory and Cedric were still standing as well, though looking very windswept, everybody else was on the ground.

"Seven past five from Stoatshead Hill." A voice said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for this chapter

Drop a comment on what you thought of it

THATS ALL FOR NOW

PEACE OUT Y'ALL