Chapter 16 - Queen Lightweaver

"Guards!" Queen Lightweaver shouted through the commotion to her three guards. "The illusions, now!"

The Illusionwings had a signal to summon all soldiers to the queen when there was an attack. They would all send out illusions and the guards would come. Okay now my illusion, she thought. She closed her eyes settling in her mind imagining a giant red flare and then thrusted her hand in the air.

A giant red explosion illuminated the night and immediately three dozen guards were seen flying toward the center of the festival.

As soon as the guards arrived they all launched themselves in the air.

I really need a weapon, Queen Lightweaver thought so she flew from the middle of the formation to the front.

"Hey Neverseen," she asked the patch of air beside her, "Could I borrow a sword?"

Suddenly the air shimmered beside her and a dragon appeared. Neverseen, her highest ranked general had been named for her unusual but useful ability to place an illusion on herself and turn invisible. "Sure, no problem," Neverseen responded, as she unstrapped one of her 3 swords from her back. "Anything else?"

Lightweaver strapped the sword onto her back and responded "I'm fine, and thanks for the sword."

"I'm happy to help," Neverseen said. "See you in the battle."

I'm happy to be fighting alongside her, Queen lightweaver thought.

In what felt like years they got near enough to the Stone and BloomWings to hear their battle cry.

"Illusionwings attack!"

The first few seconds of the battlefield were a blur of teeth and claws but then she stumbled upon a scared turquoise/green Bloomwing. The Bloomwing launched himself at her raking his claws against her chest. Barely having time to react she clawed his face. Trying to ignore the pain from her chest she faced him.

"The BloomWings will win," he rasped blood streaming from his snout. Without a warning he charged at her again. This time she was ready and dodged him but let her claws hit his throat killing him. She watched as he plummeted to the ground. Serves him right for attacking me, she thought. "My Queen," Neverseen said reappearing next to her, "there are to many!"

"Send a soldier for TechWing reinforcements," Lightweaver said hurriedly, "we still have a battle to fight."

She turned around to launch herself back into the fray but a flash of black and blue scales and a spurt of blood stopped her.

The next thing she saw was Neverseen plummeting to the earth and the giant Stonewing general, Iron hovering in front of her blood staining his claws.

Too shocked for words she managed to say "You killed her!"

"This is a battle," he said with a malicious smile.

"You monster," she said and launched herself at him but before she could reach him a flash of gold and black scales attacked Iron. In a second it was over and Iron was a small shape falling through the sky. As the dragon turned around she recognized her as Neverseen's little sister Sunshifter.

"Are you okay," Queen Lightweaver asked worriedly, "you just took down one of the strongest generals in Persaria."

"Yeah I'm fine," Sunshifter said casually, "that felt good."

"I'm sorry about your sister," Lightweaver said somberly.

At the mention of her sister Lightweaver could see the young dragon blinking away tears but Sunshifter didn't let any out.

"She died for a good cause. Defending our queen. You."

"Then how 'bout we finish this battle in her honor," Lightweaver asked Sunshifter.

"Deal," Sunshifter responded.

Now fighting besides the TechWings they drove the enemy farther and farther away.

Suddenly Queen Apple herself appeared.

"TechWings have to retreat for one hour i'll explain tomorrow," she said hurriedly, "TechWings retreat!" Just like that all the TechWings flew toward the palace. But one TechWing did not hear the warning for he was too determined to finish off the BloomWing he was fighting. Queen Lightweaver flew as fast as she could but she was not fast enough. A giant gong sounded and then all of a sudden a weird red glow appeared in the TechWing's throat until the dragon suffocated.

Queen Lightweaver stared at the falling body of the TechWing, her eyes transfixed with horror.