THIRTY-FIVE

I woke up to my mate's face buried in the crook of my neck.

I tried to move, but he tightened his hold on my waist and buried his face further.

''Your majesty,'' I tried to speak.

''Conrad,'' He said.

His breath tickled my neck as he spoke.

I kept quiet, then spoke his name, ''C-Con-Conrad.''

He hummed in satisfaction, removed his face, and stared at me.

I looked up to him with my hands on his chest.

''Are you okay?'' He asked with worry in his eyes, although his face was blank.

I nodded at him.

I felt our relationship changing very slowly.

I can still see him being careful and on guard with me, but he didn't hide his worries from me, and I am satisfied with this until he opens up to me.

I noticed his attentiveness since I woke up yesterday.

''I am sorry,'' He said, breaking me from my thoughts.

I looked at him in confusion at why he apologized.

''If I were attentive to you, none of this would have happened,'' He said with closed eyes blaming himself.

I looked at him and sighed, ''I was at fault too.''

''I knew that Typhon was after me, but I overestimated myself and left the capital, which was the safest place from him,'' I continued.

''You left because of me, right?'' he stared at me, asking.

''If our relationship were good from the beginning, none of this would have happened, but you almost died indirectly in my hands,'' He smiled mockingly at himself.

I didn't know what to say to stop him from blaming himself, but everything he said was correct.

I left because I needed a change in the environment.

He ignored our bond and the rumors of him and Brittney, but he did nothing to stop it. Every noble were watching me, Brittney's schemes and the whole environment were suffocating, and I couldn't deal with it.

''I am sorry. Although we have secrets from each other, please don't give up on me. I need you, and you are the only one that can love me for me, please,''

His blank face cracked and showed his emotions as he begged, tightening the hold on my waist while staring at me.

''I will try to be a good mate, but please don't leave me,'' I could hear agony, desperation, and sadness in his voice.

'Something must have happened a long time ago for him to be like this,' I thought while moving my hand to his back and patting it.

'His hatred for werewolves might be connected,' I added to my thoughts.

He stiffened at my touch but relaxed and buried his face in the crook of my neck.

We stayed like this, me patting his back without saying anything and him sniffing my scent.

I sniffed the scent of blood, and it seemed he smelt it too because of his movement.

He removed his arms around my waist and moved away carefully, ''I will call for the head maid.''

He left the room.

I stayed like this for a while, felt a tear on my cheek, and moved my hand carefully to wipe the tear while thinking, 'I am happy?'