FOURTY-SIX

I woke up struggling for air from the shock of the fall.

My vision felt blurry as my hands grasped something, breathing heavily.

I felt someone patting my back softly as I calmed down.

The peppermint with a mix of musk scent wafted, and my nose twitched at the familiar smell of my mate.

''It's okay, you are here,'' Conrad reassured me repeatedly, and I could hear the relief in his voice.

I turned in the direction of his voice and focused my blurry vision on him till it became clear.

Conrad stared, and when he saw me focusing on him, he sighed with his eyes closed before opening them.

''How are you feeling?'' Conrad said as he leaned back on the seat and focused on me.

When he asked, the conversation between the gods and the moon goddess flashed in my memory.

I stared at him without answering and turned my sight away, noticing that we were in a room.

''Where are we?'' I asked, dodging the question.

It seems Conrad noticed my behavior but didn't say anything.

I looked at my clothes and noticed a different set before, releasing my hands from the sheets.

''We are in the room for us,'' He answered.

Then I noticed our stuff in the corner of the room.

''What happened after?'' I turned my gaze to Conrad.

Conrad didn't say anything and avoided my gaze.

'It seems he doesn't want to answer,' I thought as I changed the question.

''What about Ryder?''

Immediately I mentioned that name, the atmosphere turned grim, and Conrad's face hardened.

A knock broke the silence, and Conrad stood up to answer.

'Did something happen?' I thought.

Conrad came with a frown, clearly downcast with what the person behind the door said.

He looked at me and sighed, ''Ryder is asking for your presence.''

I nodded and stood up immediately, but my legs were not cooperative, and I almost fell.

''Where are you going? He didn't say you should come now.'' Conrad complained as he caught me.

''But I need to speak with him about something important,'' I said, placing my hands on his chest and balancing myself.

''Don't behave like last time,'' Conrad said, holding me gently by my waist.

I stared at him and thought, 'Last time?'

''You didn't allow me to do anything and forced me to stay with you in your room,'' I said, thinking it was when he brought me back injured from the battle with strays and rogues.

''No, it wasn't then,'' Conrad said as he stared at me.

I tried to remember when this happened, but nothing came to mind.

When Conrad saw that I didn't remember, he smiled sadly and answered, ''It was the day we met for the first time.''

When he said that, I remembered the first banquet I attended in casual wear, what happened to me, and after.

'It was the first time I saw him and spent a night in his room,' I thought, looking at Conrad.

''I remember,'' I said, noticing the difference between then and now.