Prologue

Poetic (adjective): Having an imaginative or sensitively emotional style of expression. Is this definition vague or specific? Do you have to think about it or do you know what this means the moment you look at it? Is life poetic? Is death poetic? Are those moments (yes, those, because those means something different for all of us used in this context), romantic or friendly, poetic? Are what we achieve in life poetic? Because those things are sensitively emotional, at least to us.

"We're born alone. We live alone. We die alone. Only through love and friendship can we create the illusion for a moment of belonging. So embrace your "human emotions" because while I may not agree with them, they do help. Because friends are what help you not be alone."

But it's not an illusion. For we all truly belong somehow.

"The only negative thing about joy is that it can go away. Easily."

"Apparently, even though you can have something seemingly perfect that means the world to you, the world will never have anything perfect for you."

"In truth, one person isn't everything. You can't expect everything from a person. You can only expect people to be people, and they can only expect you to be you."

"Romance is like a friend you make and really like that backstabs you. Multiple times. In the ass. But in the end, everyone's still willing to be friends with romance."

"Keep this in mind: It's REALLY hard to care about someone and not hurt them."

"I guess it's easy to care, but dealing with the side effects of caring is a pain in the ass. What matters is that we manage to get through the pain together."

"Don't ever feel like you're a failure or you aren't amazing, because you are amazing, and even if one day you feel like you're not an amazing person, remember that you will always have the potential to become one."

~

"Skylar! Stay with me!" I urged. "With us!"

"I know, I know, I'm not going to give up. I'm just... in a critical condition right now," Skylar forced a  chuckle as she winced in pain. 

"Brianna, take care of her. I'm going for the President," I said."Wait, what're you planning to do? Aren't we supposed to stick with the plan?" Brianna yelled as she healed Skylar.

"We can't stick with the plan if Skylar's down! I'll think of some sort of distraction," I replied. "Take cover at Cameron's base."

My name is Iris Chantelle Airlotte. At the moment, I'm involved in a coup d'état I was convinced to go through with a person that took forever to trust. I can't comprehend why I trusted him in the first place, because as I move, people are getting hurt. That includes people I know. Some of those people I know are getting hurt by my own hands, and you know the thing? I had formed a bond with these people. They had been serving the wrong cause, but they were serving the wrong cause with me. Now that I'm taking them down, all I have to do is pray they all survive.

If Cameron kills anybody important, other than the President, I'll kill him. Considering his super strength, immunity to poison, and immunity to pain itself, it seems like an insane intent. But I can't let him get away with any fatalities. We made a deal. A deal that I could only hope to trust. It's ironic how weeks ago I was living a normal high school life and now I'm involved in... this plot. I snuck over to Jackson's position. "Jack!" I whispered.

"Iris? What the hell are you doing here? Shouldn't you be like... somewhere I can't see?" Jackson whispered back.

"Skylar's hurt. We can't carry out the original plan. We gotta think of something... at least a distraction... and quick!" I explained, looking around for signs of Zephyr.