Chapter 17

"I feel like you guys are hiding something," Reed said.

 "What do you mean by, 'you guys?'" I asked.

 "You know... you, Zephyr, Jack, Will," Reed stated. "Probably even Cameron."

 "Interesting," I said. "Tell me more."

 "You always go off by yourselves after school," Reed said. "And your houses aren't even that close, so it doesn't really make sense going the same way everyday."

 "And no one else noticed this... why?" I asked.

 "I observe things a lot, Iris," Reed said.

 "How much do you observe that causes you to get your mind off Brianna?" I asked.

 "It takes a lot of observation to get my mind off of Brianna," Reed replied.

 "How could you be thinking about things like this when you're falling for Brianna?" I smirked. "Do you really like her?"

 "I do... but I'm still falling for her. I haven't fallen for her. Yes... based on our conversation yesterday, I'm falling, not fallen," Reed said.

 "You're smart," I said.

 "Oh, please, I should've figured it out before," Reed scoffed. "Most problems aren't this complicated."

 "This isn't like most problems, that's the thing," I said.

 "Again, speaking from personal experience, I assume..." Reed said. "Considering the fact that you've been in a relationship and are possibly in one again."

 "Would it actually be okay to date someone you dated before?" I asked.

 "Of course," Reed said, straightening his mouth out a bit more. "People do that."

 "I suggest you do that, Iris," Zephyr whispered behind me.

 Reed burst out laughing, and I felt a blush creep up my neck to my face. "Reed!" I whined. "Why didn't you warn me he was there?"

 "I thought you'd notice from my face!" Reed snickered.

 Before I could yell at Reed more, Zephyr continued, "Seriously, Iris. I told you things yesterday."

 "And you didn't let me answer," I said. "For a while."I rolled my eyes as he said, "Once I did let you answer... you couldn't."

 "What're you guys referring to?" Reed asked.

 "Nothing!" I blurted out, spotting the rest of the group. "Oh, hey guys, let's go!"

 After we all said our usual morning greetings (I swear, Reed and Brianna were making heart eyes at each other), we walked inside the school building only to see a huge crowd blocking the hallway. There was tons of yelling and screaming. "Uh, what the hell?" Skylar muttered.

 "Sometimes I wish things had changed over the last few decades or so..." Reed said. "Apparently there were a lot of fights back then too..."

 "No change, huh," Will commented. "Believe me, I know what that kind of stuff is all about."

 Having read Will's mind during the Anderson case, I flinched a bit. A whole flashback of the whole "not a damn thing has changed" thing for Will popped up in my mind, and remembering Anderson wasn't that positive either. I don't even think I saw a picture of Anderson's face. Will spotted me flinch, and a small, reassuring smile appeared on his face. I smiled back. He knew he had a good group of friends. "A fight, huh," Zephyr said. "Okay, I got this."

 Zephyr pushed his way through the crowd, and the rest of us followed. "What's he planning to do?" Brianna asked.

 "He probably wants to stop the fight," I said.