Chapter 6

"Do something with it!" Dylan yelled.

"Don't just keep the fucking bomb!"

"Uh, uh... hold on..." Avery panicked. "Shit, 30 seconds left and counting down."

The rest of us stood by, watching Avery from above, not knowing what to do. We couldn't let the bomb go down anywhere, but we didn't want to lose Avery. She's a part of our team, her life couldn't end with something like this. We heard her breathing hard into the communicator's microphone, panicking. "Wait, I got it!" Avery cheered.

"What? What is it?" Charlotte asked.

"10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5..." Avery counted down to herself.

"AVERY!" Dylan screamed.

"Go!" she cried, throwing the bomb up.She drifted down as the bomb exploded above her, and we were all relieved to find that nothing, not even a lock of her blonde hair, was damaged. Suddenly, she stopped midair at a height that was half the school's height. "Uh..." she muttered.

"Avery, what's wrong?" Nora asked.

"My wings are running out of energy charge," Avery groaned. "I'm not even sure if I can use my wings to drift near the wall so I can grapple near it."

"Huh, I would've thought the Aerial family advanced it more by now," Austin commented.

"Shut up!" Avery snapped. "I mean, it has a lot of charge, but I used it for a week straight and forgot to charge it."

"A week straight?!" Austin shrieked.

"Oh my gosh," I laughed, then whispered to Dylan, "Go catch your girl."

"Iris, what the fuck?!" Dylan growled.

It seemed like Avery was panicking too much to hear what I just said. "Okay, uh, I'll just try to grapple to the school..."

"I wonder if any of the middle schoolers notice a teenage girl on wings," Charlotte pondered out loud.

"Teenage girl on wings sounds strangely poetic," Nora said.

"I think I've gotten close enough to the building... now to take out my grapple..." Avery said.

She managed to get her grapple to hook onto the wall of the school, and she swung towards the wall. Right before she hit the wall, she screamed and accidentally pressed the button that unhooked herself from the wall. "Shit, no!" she screeched, falling down.

"Press the button!" Austin yelled.

Avery kept pressing the button, but she never held the button so the hook just kept going in and out. "Ah, screw it," Dylan muttered, sprinting towards the school.

She fell abruptly into Dylan's arms, and he stumbled forward before balancing himself. "My god Avery," Dylan said. "You scared the shit out of me. Don't do that again."

"I won't... I think," Avery replied, grinning.

Dylan groaned, and it felt kind of good not having to steal the show for once.

~

Now we were all groaning, because we had to interrogate these stubborn idiots. They refused to open their mouths no matter how many times we asked them. It was mostly a series of, "I'm trying to be patient with you," to, "TELL ME NOW," to "Austin, can you take care of this for me?" These quotes came from every single member of the group, and Austin couldn't even handle it. "They refuse to speak," Austin explained to Sebastian.

"Did you try to threaten them, too?" Sebastian sighed.

"Uh... maybe," Wyatt chuckled.

"I tried to be more patient," Nora said. "That didn't work either."