Chapter 1

Is it bad to do something for the benefits even though it looks like the cons could outweigh the benefits? Especially a kind of life decision that you would be forced to go through for the rest of your life, just because you decided the other choices were just slightly less beneficial.

 Sure, I didn't have many choices. But protecting the President's life when he doesn't bother to protect the millions out there? Honestly, what a joke. President Phake's family were the people I signed up to protect, and he was included in the mix.

 Sadly, I'm actually related to the President himself. My father is President Phake's younger brother, so I'm the President's niece, which isn't anything I take much pride into. I guess that's one benefit of having to lay low from the public.

 When one of my really ancient relatives took power of America and declared himself President, he completely redesigned the system of government. Although it worked for a while, I get pissed once in a while whenever I come to realize how much the Presidents are abusing the system for their own good. They are born into power and once they're born into power, it's up to them (plus advisors, but the President makes the final decision) to do anything they can for their country. Which is why I hate President Phake with a fiery burning passion, because he hasn't done anything about the starving, sick, and poor people. Yet he's able to spend money on his own extravagances and a few upgrades once in a while for our secret base.

 We don't live in the secret base, but we work there. By we, I mean anyone born into or trusted enough to be hired for these jobs. Anyone related to the President and his family had privileges such as not much of a tax payment (since it'd be really ridiculous if we were getting paid to do our job only to pay the money back to the President). Basically, I had a free house, but I couldn't be grateful for it because there were people out there that deserved or needed these things more than me.

 I was born into a skilled combatant family, and ever since people thought it was unfortunate that a girl was born into this kind of thing, I decided to keep that fate. Even having the freedom to choose another thing, I decided against it. I wasn't willing to be some petty servant, and I certainly wasn't going to try and contribute to the political part because of my differing opinions with the President. So I decided simply to protect the President's wife (who could have chosen better) and their daughter, Angelina, who is absolutely a sweetheart and my childhood friend/cousin.Aside from all the secret jobs, no one outside this system were to know that we worked for the President. This was due to the fact that people have tried to manipulate, bribe, or corrupt anyone part of the system (which I found stupid because it's the system's fault people have to resort to that kind of thing).  People could know us personally, but the moment we mentioned anything government related, we could be seriously punished (unless, of course, nobody caught you).

 I changed into my training session outfit, which consisted of a completely black outfit with the exception of my black scarf with green lining near the end of the scarf and the green crossed straps on my boots. Ever since I chose my job at the age of ten (training for kids nine and under were basically educating us on politics and self defense) to protect the President, I had been working my way up the ranks. I don't know what I'm going to do if I keep climbing higher, but I do want to protect everyone (except the President). This place is full of good people that deserve protection, and somehow that keeps me going.

 "Okay, Iris, we'll test your ability to subdue multiple enemies in a fist fight," my trainer and squad captain Austin said. "Here's the imaginary situation. The techie of your squad is disabling a bomb that'll go in a minute. You're the only person covering them, but your techie is less experienced in fighting, so you let them go and decide to take... ten guys on your own. If you can survive a Lower Elite squad for at least a minute, your promotion will have a bigger chance of being considered."