Chapter 39

"Bombs?!" Leanna shrieked, looking at her communicator map. "Oh fuck, they're really close."

"How close?" Jack asked, firing a few more shots, then looking up. "Okay, uh, fuck. Never mind. They're right above us."

"Right above--" Cameron looked up. "Shit."

We all looked and stopped at the sight of a giant black helicopter hovering far above us. A cluster of bombs began to fall over us and Cameron yelled, "Wait, guys! Huddle together!"

"Huddle together?! Why?" I asked.

"Just do it!" Cameron shouted.

Next thing we knew, we were all in an antimatter space. "Wait, how did the bombs not kill us or hurt us at all?" Dylan asked. "And why do I see a weird purple tint now?"

"A few of us teleported everyone into here, one of those people being me," Cameron answered. "Let's head back out now."

Before anyone had the chance to ask anymore questions, Cameron teleported us out back to the real world. "Let's continue!" Cameron commanded.

"Not so fast!" the President yelled. "The clone has backup!"

"Shitty backup," Cameron said, throwing a Behemoth Corporation man. "Or maybe my side's just too damn good."

"Shall we continue the usual routine?" Leanna asked. "A bunch of the trap specialists are here. I think we've got good backup."

Cameron nodded and we continued forward while Skylar stayed back with the gunners looking for a chance to attack. "Alright..." Skylar mumbled. "Now!"

She ran towards the clone, rolling under a gunshot and running in front of me. I backed up and came forward again to block the clone's fist. She punched the clone once in the chest, then tried for another punch. The clone dodged her this time, then roundhouse kicked her into the air. "Ahh!" she screamed.

"Skylar!" I screamed.

President Phake took a moment to aim at Skylar, so I ran and kicked him, whacking him with my sword next. "Fuck off!" I yelled.

He rolled back and chuckled. "Why don't you unsheathe your sword, Iris?" President Phake asked.

"Because I wouldn't sacrifice a life. Not even yours. Because all lives deserve to live whether the person is good or evil, whether they're living their life in happiness or misery," I stated.

"At least I prevented my misery," President Phake said.

"What the hell do you mean?" I asked. "Well, fine. You prevented your misery for a good amount of fucking time. But it'll all begin once we're done with you."

"Really clever, Iris," President Phake acknowledged, slowly walking towards me.

"Afraid to charge at me head on, Mr. President? It's probably because the clone is too occupied with the rest of my team." I taunted, turning around. "Don't worry, I'm after the clone!"

I ran towards the clone and stabbed it from behind. "I must be... quite a backstabber," I chuckled.

The clone reached behind him and grabbed my arm, tossing me in front of him. I landed not so gracefully, attempting a good foot landing but instead tripping over a rock and falling onto my knees. "I deserved that," I giggled to myself.

The routine continued on. We blocked for Skylar and landed some attacks. Skylar attempted punches. Sometimes she got them. Sometimes she didn't.

After this entire fight that seemed like an eternity, I gasped in joy as the clone fell down. Skylar jumped up above the clone, and we all blocked for the last time we needed to. She punched the clone right in the heart once again, and he dispersed into wispy streaks of black and purple. Every last bit of his substance began to disappear, floating in the air as it did so. In shock, we all cheered. "We did it! We defeated the one thing that gave the President the upper hand!" Will cheered.