Chapter 1.3 - Deception

Many say "first impressions are everything." Is that necessarily true?

I tend to agree with the statement. When you meet someone, your first impression of them will more often than not determine how you see that person. If you have a good first impression of someone, you'll think of them highly and have a positive opinion about that person. On the other hand, if you have a bad first impression, it'll be hard for you to approach that person in the future since you'll have a negative opinion about them.

Therefore, if you have a wrong first impression of someone, you might find yourself betrayed in the future.

The students in Class D all seem to have had a good first impression of me. As introductions ended, we all decided to leave the classroom.

The vast majority headed towards the dorms, and the rest decided to explore the huge campus and spend some points.

I still felt eyes staring into my soul as I walked alongside students from all four classes. I guess I can't even hide in plain sight anymore.

Walking next to me were Kushida and Hirata who were having a casual conversation. I was minding my own business... until they decided to include me in their conversation.

"Seems like you're not such a bad guy after all, Ayanokouji-kun. I'm glad you're not the demon that everyone on the internet talks about, you actually seem like a cool dude," Hirata said.

"Yeah! Even on the bus this morning, you seemed like quite the gentleman," Kushida chuckled.

"I guess," I responded.

Many other students from other classes were obviously eavesdropping on our conversation. Once they heard my name, I became the talk of the town again.

"So that's Ayanokouji Kiyotaka?"

"He doesn't seem that bad to be honest..."

"Still, I'm going to be wary of him... his eyes are scary..."

"Seems like you're famous, Ayanokouji-kun," Hirata mentioned, "I hope all this attention doesn't bother you..."

"Don't worry about it Hirata. And also, just calling me Ayanokouji is fine. You can drop the honorifics," I responded. By saying this, I can probably get closer to Hirata. As I think he'll naturally become the class leader, this seems like the obvious choice to make.

"Well, if you say so, Ayanokouji."

As we continued our small talk, we quickly arrived near the dormitory.

"Well, I'll meet up with some of my friends soon, so I'll go on ahead. Later, Ayanokouji!" Kushida shouted as she walked away.

"I have plans too, so I guess this is where we part ways, see you guys tomorrow!" Hirata said with a smile.

"Sure."

I really need to become better at conversations.

"Here's the keycard for your room as well as a handbook containing information about the dorm's rules. Enjoy your stay!"

At the reception desk, I received a keycard for my room and a handbook. I quickly flipped through the handbook, which only detailed the most basic things that we needed for our daily routines. The dates and times for garbage disposal were listed, as well as a notice about avoiding excessive noise. I also saw notes about not wasting water or electricity, and so on.

So, they don't place restrictions on electricity or gas usage, huh.

I initially assumed that the school would deduct the cost from our points, but it seems like that won't be the case. On a side note, I was a little surprised that they'd implemented co-ed dormitories. After all, this was a high school, so the rules stated that unsuitable romantic relationships were frowned upon.