Chapter 4.2 - Unfamiliar Territory

The endless summer sea. The infinite blue skies. The perfectly clear air. Here, in the midst of the Pacific Ocean, we didn't feel the intense midsummer heat, and the gentle sea breeze was relaxing, to say the least. For many, this was an oceanic paradise.

"Whoa! Would you look at that view!" Ike shouted, both hands raised high in the air.

Everyone in Class D was enjoying the view from the cruise ship's deck.

"This view is incredible! I'm honestly super moved right now!"

A group of girls led by Karuizawa came out from the ship's cabin. Karuizawa pointed out to the expansive ocean, wearing a radiant smile.

"Seriously, the scenery here is just amazing!"

Many thought of this as the beginning of summer vacation. After all, after overcoming numerous hardships, midterms, and the end-of-term exams, many were saw this as a reward from the school.

But I kept my guard up.

"Wow, Ken, you must be happy you didn't get expelled!" Yamauchi said.

"You're not one to talk, Yamauchi!" Ken chuckled. He was in a good mood. He had really changed for the better these past months. His short-tempered attitude was basically no more.

While we didn't receive many points this month, we all forgot about it for a moment. On this ship, everything was free of charge. We received the best of special treatment. The cruise liner and its facilities were of the highest quality. This ship was fully equipped with everything from fancy restaurants to a theater, and even an upscale spa. To think we're able to not worry about points on such a luxurious cruise ship seemed too good to be true.

They said this trip will last two weeks. The first week would be spent at a fancy summer lodge on a deserted island. The second week would be left for us to enjoy the cruise ship.

There is absolutely no way a government-sponsored school would allow first-year high school students to enjoy themselves like this for two weeks with no catch, though.

At 5 AM today, the first-year students had boarded buses and departed for Tokyo Bay. The passenger ships departed from the port once we arrived. After eating breakfast in the lounge, we were permitted to move freely around the entire vessel. We then boarded this cruise ship, where we're able to use any of the ship's facilities feee of charge.

Apparently, the school owned a small island to the south. Our destination.

"Attention, students. Please assemble on the deck. You will be able to see the island soon. This is a good time to take in some rather significant scenery."

What a strange announcement issued from the ship's PA. Barely anyone seemed to have given it a second thought though.

Students from other classes began assembling on the deck.

I went over to Hashimoto to talk to him.

"Hey, Hashimoto. Can you come with me for a second? I want to talk to you."

********

As we got off the boat, I was talking with the Ayanokouji Group.

Our homeroom teacher then greeted us.

"I will now start the roll call for Class D. When you hear your name, please respond loud and clear."

Chabashira-sensei started taking attendance, clipboard in hand, while simultaneously instructing us to form a line. She wore the same kind of jersey as her students. This atmosphere was more akin to training camp than summer vacation. Still, many students seemed relaxed and impatient.