Chapter 6.4 - Passing The Torch

The rules for the final event required that boys and girls be mixed. From each class of all three school years, the runners had to be evenly balanced between male and female.

I stood up from the bench and prepared to head to my starting position.

"Can you really run in that state, Ayanokouji?" Hirata asked me.

"Don't worry about me."

Class D's final line up consisted of me alongside Ken, Hirata, Maezono, Onodera and Matsushita who had to fill in Horikita's spot.

The participants started gathering for the relay. As expected, Manabu was the anchor leg of his class' team. My lane wasn't next to his, but everyone knew about the race between me and Manabu. It was safe to say word about this race spread around the school. Every saw this as the Vice-President versus President Race rather than the 1200 Meters Relay Race.

The crowd was filled with excitement. Students from all three years were excited to see the race between me and Manabu.

This was also more than a race. It was a symbolic moment for the future of the school. The current president against the upcoming president.

As we took our starting positions, the crowd cheered us on. Even Class D who still had mixed emotions about me couldn't help but look forward to the race.

After everyone was ready, the stadium was silent. Everyone waiting for the starting gun's gunshot.

As soon as the gunshot was heard, the first runners dashed forward.

Ken made a good start and managed to take the lead. The baton sas then passed to Hirata who continued to maintain the lead. However, the girls couldn't keep up their pace with the boys and seniors from other classes and Class D started losing positions.

Third year's Class A had the lead. However, if Manabu were to race me, he would have to wait for me and might have to sacrifice first place.

"So it's time, huh, Ayanokouji," he said to me while waiting for the baton.

"I guess so, President."

After Manabu received the baton, he waited and stood still. This was expected, and the student crowd weren't surprised.

As the racers next to us left one by one, I said one last thing to Manabu.

"Before we race, I want to say something."

"What is it?"

"Run with all you've got."

"Ayanokouji!"

I turned my head back to see Matsushita passing me the baton.

As soon as I received the baton, Manabu and I instantly dashed forth. The race had begun.

"Woahhh..."

"What the hell?!"

As we both accelerated at extreme speed, we easily overtook the runners in front of us. The crowd was lost for words as we started heading to the last curve.