SS. 8 - Sudou Ken: Saved From Suspension

I've always loved basketball. When I entered this school, I had already decided to join the Basketball Club to keep playing the sports I loved.

Everything is going so well right now.

I've made friends. Kiyotaka, Akito, Airi, Haruka. We call each other the Ayanokouji Group.

I'm also slowly becoming a regular on our basketball team. Coach said I might play a big role in the upcoming tournament. Man, that has me all hyped up!

Today, after basketball practice, I was about to head home when three of my teammates, Ishizaki, Komiya and Kondou came over and talked to me.

"Yo, Sudou."

"What?"

"Come with us for a second. Let's have a talk outside."

"Okay."

I mean, I guess I'll hear them out.

They took me to a building next to one of the gyms.

"So? What did y-"

Ishizaki pushed me onto the wall.

"What the hell dude?" I said.

"Come on, let's fight. Don't tell me you're chickening out."

"Yeah, Sudou. Come on, show us what you got."

A side of me didn't want to get in a fight right now. But a bigger side of me wanted to smash their faces into pieces. Who do they think they are? Talking to me like that? I stood there, saying nothing.

"Oh? Are you scared, Sudou?"

"What's wrong? We'll just hit you first then."

I dodged their punches. I've had enough. I charged towards them but I stopped when I heard someone.

"Stop it, Ken!"

I stopped in my tracks. I looked around me to see where the voice came from. It was Airi. I don't know what she was doing here, but she saw what was happening, and decided to step in.

"What the hell? Someone's here?" Komiya said.

"Damn it, let's go guys," Kondou agreed.

"Screw this, I really wanted him to get expelled, that bastard," Ishizaki said as all three of them left the building.

Wanted me expelled? Did they try to... set me up?

I was left alone with Airi.

"Ken... are you okay?"

If it wasn't for Airi's intervention, I would've definitely started a fight with those three. Who knows what would've happened then? I was such a fool, I got lured into their trap just like that because of my fiery attitude. Damn it.

"Thank you, Airi, I appreciate you coming out and helping me."

Now that I think about it, it must've taken a lot of courage for Airi to raise her voice like that. I'm really glad I became her friend through the Ayanokouji Group.

"I guess... I just wanted to help a friend," Airi said when smiling. Her smile was really cute.

I really need to work on myself. I need to fix my bad-tempered attitude. Just as I thought I was making progress in doing that, I almost made a mess of myself again.

I want to keep playing basketball here. I am living the best life I could ever ask for. And I want to keep doing that.

If I keep playing basketball here, who knows what will happen in three years, maybe I can become a professional, an NBA player. I'm getting fired up just thinking about it.

I've decided. For the sake of my dream, I will do anything I can to stay in this school. I won't cause problems for anyone else. I won't stupidly become angry whenever someone provokes me. I won't do any of those things anymore.

I will keep pursuing my dream.

********

Author's Notes

Hey!

Third short story of the day... Summer break is really leaving me with nothing else to do.

That'll be the end of Chapter 3's series of short stories!

The whole trial thing didn't happen in this timeline. Airi came to the rescue! I thought this was the perfect opportunity to write a short story about Subro.

Anyway, that's it! Chapter 4 is coming up!

See you then!