Chapter 10.1 - New Year, New Faces

After a long and yet somehow short spring break had come to an end, the day of the opening ceremony finally arrived. We moved out of our old, familiar first-year classroom and relocated to a new one for second-years.

At a glance, the desk and chairs seemed to be the same. The first thing that awaited us as we arrived in this new classroom was a message 'displayed' on the blackboard.

[Sit down in the same seat you used last year and wait for further instructions.]

Last year, the blackboard was one that the teachers would write on with chalk. However, the blackboard before me was a blackboard, yet not at the same time. Put simply, it had been replaced by a large monitor. The school had chosen to install it this year.

The students who arrived in the classroom after me also seemed rather surprised when they saw the monitor. Either way, I made my way to where I sat last year, the window seat in the very back of the room, and sat down as instructed.

Later on after this, the opening ceremony would be held in the gymnasium. After that, the homeroom teachers would spend the next two hours or so briefing us on this year's schedule and other important details before dismissing us sometime before noon.

The students still seemed to be a little out of it since spring break had only just ended. Friends who hadn't met up with each other over the break began excitedly talking about all sorts of things like what they had been doing over the holidays.

As for me, all my classmates continued to ignore me and ice me out like they did last year, not that I minded. Well, all except for two.

"Hey, Ayanokouji!" Kushida, who was chatting with Horikita, greeted me. It still felt unusual seeing the two of them get along. I must say, if the me from last year were to see this sight, I would've thought I was in an alternate universe.

"Hello, Ayanokouji," Horikita said.

"Hello, Kushida, Horikita."

I took out my phone and surfed the internet while Kushida and Horikita continued chatting.

Tomorrow was the school's entrance ceremony where the incoming first-year students would enter the school, and I will have to say a few words as student council president.

A lot of things happened this spring break. Most importantly, I got myself a girlfriend. Yes, I, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, have a girlfriend.

However, the only other person that knows about this is none other than Arisu herself. Our relationship is yet to be officially revealed to the public. However, once it is, it won't come as a shock for students here. At least, that's what Arisu told me. For now, we decided to not officially reveal our relationship until after I change class.

********

It was the day of new first-years' entrance ceremony. As student council president, I had to get involved and say a few words. Asahina was also present as my secretary.

Currently, I was standing on the side of the stage while Chairman Sakayanagi gave his opening speech.

This reminded me of last year's entrance ceremony where Manabu gave his speech. Now, I was at his place.

My thoughts were interrupted quickly.

"-And now, we'll have a few words from the student council president," Chairman Sakayangi said while looking at me with a smug smile. Like father, like daughter, I guess.

Does he know about my relationship with Arisu?

I should probably ask her about that.

I nodded and head towards the podium. I looked around the gymnasium to get a look at the new first-years' faces. Nothing really got my attention, apart from a girl with scarlet hair who was staring at me in awe, a boy with brown hair and green eyes who looked familiar, and Eiichiro's friend, Nanase, who waved at me with a gentle smile.