Chapter 6.3 - Clash of Classes

It was finally the day of the Sports Festival.

After the opening ceremony had ended, we all separated into two big groups, the Red Team and the White Team, and then we split up into our classes.

The preparations for the festival included medical staff, tents for each class, and cameras set up to help with judgement calls for every event.

The first event was the classic 100-Metre Dash.

Ken ran in the first group and easily took first place.

Kouenji said he was feeling unwell and refused to participate, causing chaos in our tent as not participating is equivalent to coming in last place. Depending on the event, it could definitely hurt the class' total points.

The groups passed one by one and before I knew it, it was my turn.

I took my starting position and looked to my left and then my right to see who my opponents were. My opponents were all students I had never talked to, but that didn't matter. I decided that I will finish first.

Up until the third-legged race, I will finish first. However, it had already been decided that the Universal Participation third-legged race would be the second event, so this worked out well.

After hearing the gunshot, I accelerated at incredible speed, but I still held back. I still managed to earn first place with a time of 11.23 seconds.

I head back to Class D's tent.

"What the hell, Ayanokouji, you were so fast!" Ken said.

"You better finish first place in everything you bastard!" Yamauchi screamed.

"Good job, Ayanokouji," Hirata said.

"I told you guys I would do my best, didn't I?"

They all had mixed feelings about my attitude.

Before I knew it, the 100-Metre Dash event had ended.

The last group of first-year girls finished with Horikita beating Ibuki by a small margin.

The Third-Legged Race was the next event.

Kushida and I were lucky enough to be part of the first group.

"You got this Kushida!" Ike cried out.

Kushida got a bunch of cheers from our classmates as we took our starting positions.

The race started with Kushida and I racing somewhat normally. It definitely wasn't the fastest we could go, but it was fast enough to avoid suspicions and slow enough to not be in the lead. We started speeding up. Then, I intentionally took a shorter step than usual, causing us to lose balance and fall.

"Kushida! Ayanokouji!" Hirata was the first one to cry out.

There was commotion inside the tent as we pretended to struggle to get off the ground. I must say Kushida did a good job. Too good of a job, perhaps. It seemed like she had actually twisted her ankle.

The other duos completed the race, even though some looked back at us to see what happened. Our group's race quickly ended, and students started coming onto the field towards us.

"What happened?" Horikita said.

Don't you have eyes, Horikita?

"I guess we were unlucky to fall... Maybe we didn't practice enough... Ouch!" Kushida said as she touched her ankle, "I... I think I sprained my ankle..."

I had let myself fall face first onto the ground. There were bruises and cuts all over my face and forearms.

My classmates looked at me.