Safeplace part 3

TW: verbal abuse, abusive relationship

"Would you like anything, water, coffee, food?" Eddie offered to the tired eyed boy on his couch.
"Uh.. no thanks. I should really be getting home now" Steve got up and started scrambling for his stuff.
"Would you like a lift?" Eddie asked.
Steve hesitated knowing what would happen if Ryan saw them together.
"I'm.. I don't think.."
"If you want I can drop you off a couple houses down" Eddie looked at Steve with remorse and empathy.
"Uh.. yes please. Thanks"
"No problem"
They both got in eddies van and drove down to The street that Steve's house was on. The journey was in silence. Neither of them spoke but only looked over at each other occasionally.
They finally arrived and Eddie parked in front of one of Steve's neighbours house.
"Thanks Eddie"
"Anytime"
Steve got out of the car and walked slowly to his house as Eddie drove away.
As soon as Steve entered his house he was faced with a tall, angered bloke.
"Where the hell were you?" The bloke spat out.
"I slept at Robins house" Steve muttered back as he goes to his room.
"Don't fucking walk away from me!"
Steve stopped at the bottom of the stairs and turned to see Ryan stood in front of him.
"I will ask again, where. Were. You."
Steve became light headed and started to breath heavily.
"I already told you I was at robins house"
"Robin is on vacation. Is she not?"
Steve was trembling in fear.
"Yes. But she gave me a key.."
"I Don't fucking care! I know that you are lying!"
The taller man took small steps up towards Steve until He could feel his breath on his face.
He grabbed Steve's face and tilted it up to face him.
"Where were you?"
"At robins" He let go of Steve and walked away.
Steve sat at the bottom step and quietly cried hoping that Ryan was done. But he was wrong. He walked back into the room with a pocket knife. He held it up to Steve's cheek. The cold metal made Steve's nerves only become worse.
He ran the knife down his face and cut it.
"Don't. Lie. To me." Then he walked out the door and drove away.

Later on that day, Steve was at work. Working double shifts again.
As he was updating the computer he heard the door open. Fear ran through his body and he stood dead still. But the comforting voice that followed relieved him.
"Hey Steve" Eddie walked up to the counter and leant on it.
As Steve turned to face him he revealed the cut from earlier.
"Woah. What happened"
Steve just stood there and tried not to cry. Eddie walked around the counter to embrace Steve.
"Right. This is it" Eddie walked up to the door and turned over the signed that said open so it said closed.
"What are you doing?" Steve asked in confusion.
"You are coming with me" Eddie grabbed Steve's hand and dragged him out the door.
Steve giggled slightly at Eddie lack of care.
"But Eddie. My boss"
"Who gives a shit about your boss?"
They got in the van and Eddie started to drive.
"Where are we going?"
"You'll see"
Steve just smiled. The feeling someone surprising him with something made him feel alive.
They drove for a while until they finally stopped at a small forest.
"Where are we?" Steve asked again.
"Just follow me" Eddie led Steve out the van and into the forest.
Steve followed Eddie up to a little picnic bench.
"This is where I come if I'm stressed, or angry or just need some space from the world"
Steve smiled and felt happy that Eddie wanted to share his safe place with him.
For the first in a long time he actually felt cared for.
Steve sat down on the opposite side of the table and watched him roll a joint.
He admired him light it and smoke it.
Eddie gesture the joint to Steve.
"You don't have to if you don't want to, but it might calm your nerves"
Steve took the joint and breath it in, coughing as he breathed it back out.
Eddie laughed at the beginner. "Don't worry it gets easier"
They sat at that bench and Steve told Eddie everything. He felt safe. And cared for. Finally.