Chapter 39

Tom

I slam my fist on the steering wheel. It was 1:30 Am and about 5 minutes ago y/n had just pulled away from me and left. I don't even know where she went. Probably back to that fucking guy.

I take my car out of park and drive away from the house.

All I could keep thinking was, how could I have been such an idiot? I wasn't out with a girl at all. But I couldn't tell her where I really was. It would probably upset her. Especially since I hadn't told her beforehand.

Before that night I had seen Liam out in public when I was walking to our cafe. He was in a heated argument with another guy. They were arguing like crazy in an alley and I hid behind a wall listening.

They were talking about y/n.

I tried to get a closer look and that's when I saw who he was talking to. It was that fucking asshole, James. I wanted to pound them to the ground right then and there.

James was yelling at Liam for ruining his chances with y/n.

Liam and James? Of course, those two dickheads would be friends. They were talking about y/n. Were they messing with her? And why would James care if Liam wasn't with y/n anymore?

"You can never do anything fucking right!" James scolds Liam.

"It's not my fault. She's so uptight I don't know how you put up with her."

My hands close into a fist. How could they hate her so much? She was so kind, nice, and perfect. I wanted to pummel them both to the ground. She didn't deserve to be talked about like this.

I didn't hear them for a while and when I looked again they were going down the alley. Carefully I followed them without being seen.

They walked for so long while quietly conversing. I couldn't get any closer to hear the dumb shit they were probably saying. Eventually, they walked into a bar and it had gotten pretty dark out at this point. They rushed in and I quickly followed them inside.

The music instantly devours me and I'm lost in a crowd of sweaty people. I look around everywhere but don't see them.

I'm too busy looking for them in the crowd that I get pushed around and at one point a girl is dancing up on me. I quickly move away.

At one point I could've sworn I felt someone kiss me on my neck. After that, I decided to give up and get home.

Of course, I should've realized they set me up. They knew I'd see them and follow them into the bar. They made sure I got lost in the crowd and pushed around. I was so stupid and driven by anger.

I didn't notice the lipstick stain on my neck. It had been planted so visibly for her to see. I had no idea what to tell her. I couldn't tell her I was following them and knowing that Liam was friends with James would absolutely disappoint her.

I reach our apartment building but can't bring myself to go in. I know she's not up there. I sit in my car while tears blur my vision.

Y/n

Instead of staying at Bianca's house I change my mind and ask Haz to drop me home instead. I'm sick of avoiding Tom whenever we fight. When I get inside I notice Tom sitting in the kitchen. His eyes are red and I already know it's from crying. My heart breaks a little and all I want to do is hold him.

I go into our room and change out of Bianca's dress and into comfier clothes. God taking your bra off is the best feeling ever. After I change I go to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. Tom is still there in the same spot. I can feel his eyes on me.

When I'm done I turn around to leave and stop dead in my tracks when he speaks.

"I can tell you where I was." He says, voice hoarse.

I turn around, shocked. "What?"

"I wasn't fucking another girl y/n. I can explain where I was." His eyes bore into mine. "If you'll let me."

I sit in front of him and he tells me everything. By the time he's finished, I'm hurt but also relieved. James and Liam? I'm glad I dodged a bullet but at the same time, it hurts that all those moments spent with Liam weren't real. He never wanted to be my friend.

"Why didn't you just tell me this before?" I ask him, partly angry with him.

Did he not know that hearing this news would've been far less painful than believing he was with another girl? Could he truly not see how much I yearned for him?

"I didn't want you to be hurt by them again y/n. After all, James has done to you, I didn't want to see him succeed one more time." He pleads to try to get me to see his side.

"I don't give a shit about James or Liam. You should've fucking told me." He looks away. "You don't get to let me believe you were with another girl and then pull me away from a guy at a party. It doesn't work like that."

"I didn't know what to do okay? I panicked. When I came home you were drunk as shit so obviously, I wasn't going to tell you then."

I fall into silence seeing how I never did give him a good moment to tell me.

He runs a hand through his hair. "I got home and you were a mess and you wouldn't stop crying-"

I cut him off. "I know."

He looks up at me. "You said you didn't remember."

"Yeah well, it wasn't exactly my most fondest moment." I cringe. "I was a mess and you managed to only make it worse."

"Fuck I know, I'm sorry about that too-"

"Stop. Stop pretending like you're sorry when you're not." My words take him by surprise. "Don't pretend to care about me either, all you want is to fuck."

"You don't think I care about you?" He asks, astonished.

"Your words and actions show it, Tom."

"Look I know I've fucked up a lot but you cannot honestly believe I don't care about you y/n." The disbelief and anger dance around in his voice.

My accusation had clearly hurt him but I didn't care.

"Do you not remember how you treated me last night?" I ask while getting up in his face a little. "You evaded my questions like a fucking coward."

He glares down at me. "I was fucking scared y/n!"

"Of what?" My voice breaks as a sob build up in my throat.

"Of telling you that I'm fucking in love with you!" He shouts it and my whole world stops.

"What?" I ask taken aback.

He opens his mouth to speak and instead of letting him I grab his face and press my lips against his. He goes still and I think fear for a second that he does not want this until he pulls me tighter at the waist and moves his lips against mine.