VII - More Mannequins?

The sky was an inky shade of black, without a single star in sight. The air was cool and bitter with a sharp wind blowing through the trees around the large building that Diego, Number Five and Number Eight had arrived at. After a small breakdown due to thinking she was truly crazy, Lila decided to stay at Elliot's and moved onto painting his fingernails.

"This is it." Number Five said as Diego switched off the car's engine.

"'D. S' Umbrella. This is it." Diego replied as he clamoured out of the car, grunting as he went.

Number Eight groaned. "Jeez, Diego, do you have to grunt so much? You're such an old man." She taunted. She turned to Number Five, noticing that he had stop a few metres behind her and Diego. He had a sad expression on his face. "You okay?"

Number Five quickly snapped out of his thoughts, focusing his attention on Number Eight's question. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"How long has it been since you've seen the old man?" Diego asked, realising what Number Five was hesitant about.

Number Five stood at the door of the building, his body tense and his breathing laboured. "Forty five years."

"Sheesh, that's a trip." Number Eight winced.

"No kidding." Number Five sighed, leaning against the door frame whilst Diego attempted to pick the padlock with one of his knives. "You know, when I was stuck out there in the apocalypse, there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't have his voice in my head."

"What was he saying?" Diego asked, his voice straining slightly as he focused on the padlock.

"He was saying 'I told you so'." Number Five scoffed. It was typical behaviour for Reginald.

Number Eight cleared her throat. "Well, if Reggie's here, he's never met you before, so he can't say 'I told you so'." She said, though she didn't know if she actually believed her own words. Reginald always found a way.

Number Five chuckled. "I'm sure he'll find a way."

Diego managed to crack the lock, allowing for the three to pile through the door. Number Eight pulled the toggle of the nearest lamp, which turned on for a brief second before flickering off once again. "Hm, guess Reggie wasn't one for home decor."

"Feels more like a front." Number Five said.

"A front for what?" Diego asked curiously.

"I don't know." Replied Number Five, cracking his knuckles, much to Number Eight's dismay.

She shuddered. "Ugh, Five, don't do that. It makes me cringe."

"Well, I'll take the left. Yell if you get into trouble." Diego said, before he split off in a separate direction to Number Five and Number Eight.

" Diego said, before he split off in a separate direction to Number Five and Number Eight

The pair tiptoed quietly down a barren hallway that lacked any life or enthusiasm. It was simply a long tunnel full of locked doors; there wasn't even any paint or wallpaper covering the plastered walls.