XXIV - Helping Harlan

The seven remaining members of the Hargreeves were all tightly packed into Viktor's small saloon car. Viktor, Number Eight and Number Five were in the front, Diego, Allison and Klaus were squished into the back, and Luther was practically folded in the trunk. The back of the car was actually scraping the tarmac due to the weight of the vehicle.

"Hey, Klaus. Is Ben here?" Number Eight asked innocently, feeling fearful that Ben would feel left out if he wasn't addressed.

"Oh..." Viktor said quietly before refocusing his attention on the road,

Klaus sighed. "Ben's gone. Forever."

"What?" The rest of the family said in unison, looking at Klaus in disbelief.

"He traded his life for mine when I got kidnapped by the FBI..." Viktor said, his voice saddened. "...while he saved the world in the process. Ben stopped doomsday."

Klaus blew a raspberry

Klaus blew a raspberry. "Pfft. Show off. But did he... say anything about...me?"

Viktor nodded slowly, his attention never wavering from the road. "He wanted me to tell you that he was too scared to go into the light. It wasn't you that made him stay."

"Oh, that little shit-heel." Klaus scoffed softly, though he was comforted to hear Ben's final message. "All these years, and I thought it was my fault that he didn't take his ticket to heaven."

"Wait, so he's really gone?" Diego asked, his tough exterior softening slightly as he spoke.

Klaus hummed before the car fell to silence as the family remembered Ben. He was so determined to be seen by those he loved and vowed to go further than ever before to make his presence known, and that he did in Dallas.

Number Eight felt an overwhelming sadness in the pit of her stomach after hearing the news. Since the moment Pogo told her that Ben died during a mission, she hadn't exactly had the time to process the news considering she was repeatedly trying to save the world. It had all of a sudden hit her that Ben was truly gone, and it had left quite the hole in her heart.

The family soon approached Sissy's farm, where they encountered an immense sizzling and crackling noise in the atmosphere.

"What the hell?" Number Eight asked as she eyed up the farm. The building itself and the ground surrounding it were littered with thick white snow, whereas the rest of Dallas was bone dry and scolding hot. A huge, erupting, black cloud hung heavy over the building, occasionally cracking bolts of lighting in erratic directions.

The family began to exit the car, each of them looking at the farm with pure shock.

"You think whatever's going on inside is causing the cold front?" Diego asked, having to raise his voice to be heard over the thunder.

"Well, the correlation is high." Retorted Number Five.

Suddenly, a tall blonde lady came sprinting out of the barn with a large shotgun held steadily in her hands. She pointed the weapon at the family, who stood with their hands held up innocently.