XXVIII - Am I Dead?

When the days of yesterday, the day before and Tuesday seemed all too peaceful and far away, that is when she began to lose her grip of reality. It didn't seem like anything would happen, as if another day would come and pass with the sun rising and falling. Imagine the stars not shining as bright during the night before, or the moon being a yellowish colour as opposed to looking white. How about the sounds of several house and car alarms going off in a wealthy neighbourhood all at once? Everything seemed so quiet, more quiet than her ears had ever heard. The power was the first thing to go. Like a snap of the fingers, it disappeared.

"What the hell?" Number Eight groaned. She looked around herself, horrified at what she saw.

The last she remembered, Number Eight was standing in a barn with her family, trying to talk Lila down from stabbing them all in frustration. However, now, she stood in a burnt and derelict city. What were once tall, looming buildings were now piles of expired ash and rubble at the side of crumbled roads. Overturned cars littered the streets; some of them police, some of them civilian. The air was deathly still and the atmosphere silent.

Number Eight's mind whirred away with confusion and puzzling thoughts. Her eyes darted around frantically, searching for her family who were standing with her a mere moment ago. She was alone. "Five?! Guys?" She cried out, though her voice simply echoed throughout the ether. The air around her felt thick and heavy, making the girl feel suffocated and claustrophobic. The world was barren. Soulless. There was no colour, no energy, no power. Bleak.

Number Eight felt defensive as she heard the crumbling sound of small stones moving under one's feet. Her shoulders hunched and goosebumps arose from underneath her skin as her ears pricked. A cold sweat broke on her forehead as she looked around herself, trying to find the source of the sound.

"Eight? What are you doing out here? Come inside."  A familiar voice spoke, causing Number Eight's neck to snap in its direction. Standing before her was Number Five, pulling a piece of cloth down that was covering his mouth. He still looked like himself, though he appeared older. He was taller, slimmer, and his facial features had matured.

Number Eight looked upon the boy with an open mouth

Number Eight looked upon the boy with an open mouth. "Five? What's going on? Where's the family? Where's Lila? Why do you look older? Am I dead?" She was panic-stricken and frantic, causing the words to spill from her mouth without a second thought.

Number Five looked at her blankly before taking steps forward in order to approach her. "Eight, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Come on, I just boiled some water." He held out his hand, which was covered in a thick, padded glove. Number Eight, despite feeling sceptical, reached out her small, delicate hand and placed it in Number Five's. However, something caught her eyes as she did so. On her left hand, her fourth finger, her skin was wrapped in a thin golden band. She frowned as she tried to put the pieces together in her mind. Number Five planted a small kiss on her lips as though it was nothing, before beginning to walk further into the abandoned city.