Chapter 3 - The First Time You Felt Bad for a Hat

Fred POV

When the two girls came knocking on the twin's compartment door, a thousand pranks were already forming in Fred's mind. And after one of them mentioned a lost toad, he thought of just shouting "THERE IT IS!" every time they passed someone, just to cause some confusion. Sure, it wasn't that original, but it sure was effective.

In fact, it worked a total of five times before the bushy-hair girl, Hermione, threatened him that "If you try that stupid trick one more time, I swear the next thing coming out of your mouth will be your broken teeth!"

Fred just laughed but stopped when Hermione's foot ended up an inch from his face. He was quiet after that.

Reader POV

The four students continued looking for the toad, but stopped when you said "What in the dead grass is Neville doing here? Didn't I tell him to go the other way?"

"He probably got lost," Hermione sighed. "Well, let's just see if he actually asked the people in that compartment, or if he just stuttered and left."

Your friend barged into the small room, not even bothering to knock. "Hello. Has either of you seen a toad? Neville's lost one."

Inside, there were two boys. One had flaming red hair and freckles like George and Fred, while the other had messy black hair and round glasses. Although both were thin, the latter looked rather underfed.

"We've already told him that we haven't seen it," the red head said before shoving a jellybean in his mouth. "Bleurgh! I reckon this one's earthworm."

"Well, Ronniekins, it's probably better than spider legs," one of the twins smirked. "Shut it, Fred!" the younger boy shouted.

"What's wrong? Spider got your tongue?" the other twin said.

"SHUT IT GEORGE!"

"Well, since you two clearly know each other, do you mind introducing us? Because I doubt your name is Ronniekins, and although you look like a Bob, I have a feeling you aren't," you huffed. Had they just forgotten about you and Hermione?

"Ah right. Sorry love," George said. "That's our little brother Ronald, and that there is the Harry Potter. Ron, Harry, these two are Y/n and Hermione."

"Thank you Geor- wait, what did you call me?"

"Don't think about too hard, Y/n. Both Fred and George have a habit of calling anyone love," Ron said rolling his eyes. You, on the other hand were still overthinking George's words, but pretended to not be bothered by it.

Hermione POV

Although Hermione had heard what George had called you, she decided to ignore it. There were more pressing matters at hand.

"Sorry to interrupt, but are you really Harry Potter?" The black-haired boy nodded. "Wow! I know all about you. Well, not creepily, of course, but there is quiet a bit written about you in Modern Magical History, as well as The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts, and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century."

"Er, really?" Had she scared him? Oh well, no matter.

"Goodness, didn't you know? I'd have found out everything I could if it was me," Hermione continued. "In fact, Y/n and I have already memorized Hogwarts: A History."

At this, Y/n interrupted by saying "Wait, we have? But I've only skimmed though it twice!"

"Well, I've memorized it. Anyway, do either of you know what house you'll be in? While we were looking for Neville's toad, Fred and George have placed a bet. I didn't approve of course, but they wouldn't listen, and it isn't worth knocking out their teeth."