Chapter 4 - And Then Came in the Screaming Professor

Reader POV

The first month of classes sped by. You and your roommates Hannah Abbott, Susan Bones, Megan Jones, and Arianna Ware had become great friends in the short time you knew each other.

Then there was Ernie Macmillan, and Justin Finch-Fletchley, who you had also befriended, as well as the third-year Cedric Diggory who helped all the first years with schoolwork.

Before you knew it, it was Halloween morning. At breakfast, you quickly ran to the Gryffindor table. As always, Hermione saw you first, but you just put a finger to your lips, and approached George and Fred who were facing the other way.

"Hermione, why are you nodding?" Fred asked.

"Yeah Granger," his twin continued. "We were talking about pranking Professor McGonagall. You of all people wouldn't-"

"BOO!"

"AHHHH!" You doubled over laughing when the boys screamed, and even Mione spit out a bit of her water from giggling.

The twins turned around, their expressions somewhere between being frightened, amused, and slightly mischievous. Fred was the first to recover. "Wow Y/n! You really got us. And your lucky too, because if it was anyone else, we would get them back with a prank ten times worse. But since it's you, we'll be nicer. Isn't that right Georgie?"

Although the younger twin still looked dazed, he quickly composed himself. "That's right, Freddie. So, you better watch your back love," George smirked.

You rolled your eyes, though you felt your face heat up. Even a month after arriving at Hogwarts, George still hadn't stopped with the nickname. Sure, it might be a bit normal for him to call people that, but it still got you flustered even if you didn't admit it.

After a bit of chatting, you went back to the Hufflepuff table, where you were teased by Megan for coming back flustered. "Soooooo, Y/n," your friend smirked. "Which lucky Gryffindor were you talking to, hm?"

---Time Skip brought to you by Megan making fun of you---

Hermione POV

When Hermione was paired with Ronald Weasley, she couldn't be angrier. She hadn't spoken to either of them since Harry's broomstick arrived, and she didn't want to start now.

Why was he rewarded for breaking the rules? Sure, he had helped Neville so she couldn't be upset about that, but an entire broomstick? That was outrageous!

Well, Hermione thought. I won't be able to prove myself if I can't work with someone else. But the girl had lost her patience when Ronald had continuously waved his arms around like a buffoon shouting "Wingahdium Leviosahhh!"

"You're saying it wrong!" Mione snapped. "It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa. Make the 'gar ' nice and long. "You do it then, if you're so clever," the redhead snarled.

FINE!

And when she preformed the spell as good as any third year could, if not better, she didn't get a congratulations! or a well done! No, all she heard was that insufferable boy talking behind her back, saying that everyone found her insufferable.

But what if he's right?

Hermione pushed past her classmates, not wanting to bother anyone ever again.

Fred POV

Fred first heard that Hermione was missing when Y/n came across the Great Hall to tell him. Why Hermione would skip class was beyond him, but he knew the girl well enough to know that it was incredibly serious.

So, when Ron confessed to saying some awful things about his friend, Fred was furious. George was trying to calm him down when Professor Quirrell ran in.

"TROLLLLLLL! IN THE DUNGEONS!" he shouted before fainting on sight.

That made everything even worse. What if Hermione was in the dungeons trying to avoid facing Fred's stupid brother? What if the troll found her before he- before someone could get her to safety?

"Prefects! Lead you Houses back to the dormitories immediately!" the headmaster shouted.

Reluctantly, Fred let himself get dragged out of the great hall by George. But he didn't miss how Ron and Harry slipped out of the line, and he didn't miss how his twin's eyes were darting with worry, also desperately looking for someone.