Illness

We get back and I head straight to my cell. I huff as I take out Zack's wallet out of my pocket and add his ID to the ever growing stack.

"You okay?" Daryl asks as he stands in the doorway.

"Just peachy." I mutter and he huffs.

"You did what you had to do. He was suffering." Daryl says trying to make it seem better.

"Yeah, Beth gonna see it that way?" I ask and look up at him.

He bows his head and sighs.

"Thought you didn't feel anything when you killed." He questions.

"I don't. I just wish he'd been the only living person I killed today." I mutter as I hold up the lady's ID.

"What happened?" He asks.

"She tried to bring Rick and I to her walker husband for brunch. She stabbed herself, I shot her in the head before she died. Then I shot her husband's decapitated head." I shrug as if it's a normal morning adventure.

"People are getting insane." He huffs and shakes his head.

"No, they've always been insane." I scoff and he chuckles.

"I should probably give Beth the bad news." I huff and get off the ground.

"I'll do it, you should get some sleep before you go out for your shift." He says.

"As great as that sounds, I should be the one to do it. It's kind of my job. Plus, we don't want people to start not wanting to thank you." I scoff and he rolls his eyes.

I head out and find Beth's room and walk in. She looks up at me from her diary.

"Hey." She says and I nod.

"He dead?" She asks not seeming too phased.

"Yeah, I made sure he didn't go too painfully." I say and she nods her head.

"You know, he died saving someone's life." I say trying to make her feel a bit better.

She gulps and sits up on her bed and just looks at the wall. She then gets up and takes a number off a board that says; This Workplace has gone __ days without an accident.

I just look at her and she turns towards me.

"What?" She asks and I just shrug.

"I don't cry anymore. I'm just glad I got to know him, you know?" She asks and I nod my head.

"Are you okay?" She asks and I scoff.

"When am I?" I joke and she gulps and gives me a hug.

"I'm glad I didn't say goodbye. I hate goodbyes." She admits.

"And I hate hugs." I say and she slowly let's go.

"Hey, you got a minute?" Hershel asks as I turn around to leave.

"Uh, sure." I shrug and follow him.

I find Rick holding Judith in a back room and he's pacing back and forth.

"He won't listen to me. I thought he might listen to you." Hershel says and I look at him confused.

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"He's going on about how he doesn't know how to keep doing this, that he can't bare to lose anyone else. He's real torn up." Hershel whispers before we enter the room.

"Hey." I say and Rick turns around.

"Really, you didn't need to drag her into this. She should be getting her rest." Rick huffs at Hershel.