Doe

I wake up to the sound of twigs snapping ever so lightly. I'm on the ground but my neck isn't broken...nothing is. Naturally.

I slowly get up off the ground and look around to see where the sound came from and I see something not even 10 feet away from me. It's a doe and it's the first living thing I've seen that's bigger than me in days. I slowly get up trying not to startle it. It looks up suddenly and bucks it's back legs and runs off. But there's blood drops leading to where it's going. I look down and notice there's also blood on my shirt. Not only that but it's making a path to the ground. I follow the trail up and see a broken arrow sticking out of my shoulder.

"Crap! What the hell?! I know I had a clean shot!" A gruff voice says coming from a few yards away.

I look over and I see a man wearing a dark brown, ripped up tank top and cargo pants, coming my way. He has short yet shaggy hair and a crossbow hanging on his shoulder. He reminds me of a southern version of the man who does the man vs wild videos, Bear Grylls.

 He reminds me of a southern version of the man who does the man vs wild videos, Bear Grylls

"What the fuck?!" He says as he sees me.

"Where the hell did you-." He starts but then stops in his tracks when he sees the blood and the arrow in my shoulder.

I just look down and it actually hits me the gravity of the situation. I take a deep breath and shove the arrow completely through my shoulder without thinking and he comes running.

"Crap! The hell did you do that for?!" He asks in a panicked voice as he grabs something and puts pressure on the wound.

I just stand there too numb to really care what happens to me. I know this won't kill me, blood loss won't kill me. Nothing will. That's my life, it's the strange burden I have to bear.

"We need to get you out of here!" He says as he looks me up and down.

"Can you walk? Do you feel dizzy? Here just keep pressure on it while I find something to stop the bleeding." He says as he rummages through his bag.

I stop and kneel down and open my bag and get one of the first aid kits out that I got from the hospital walls. I hand it to the guy and he looks at me with a quizzical expression.

"How the hell do you have this?! You know what I don't care. I have to get you somewhere safe." He says as he looks in the kit and finds some stuff.

I take a knife and cut my shirt off so he can get a better look at the wound. I don't talk as he fiddles with the kit and gets my wound cleaned. Thankfully the stops for now. I know blood can also attract the walkers.

He keeps asking me if I'm okay or if I'm feeling light headed but I just stay silent. The truth is that I really don't feel anything much at all anymore. I haven't for a long while.

He makes a comment guessing that I must be a mute since I haven't made any noise and I take advantage of that. The less I have to talk to people, the quicker I can get away from them.