Truth

I pause before I answer. I don't know if I want to tell him the truth or not.

"Look, I know you've been in the male prison for the last few years ok." He says and I just give him a shocked look.

"How?" I ask stunned.

"You're brother is many things, but a good liar is not one of them." He says chuckling and I just shake my head.

" He says chuckling and I just shake my head

"I know what you did Keres. You don't have to put up a front around me. I know what you're capable of. But what I want to know is why didn't Shane know you were in the same hospital as me?" He asks.

"Lets just say I had enemies on both sides. Plus running my mouth didn't help either. They brought me to the hospital because they didn't know what to do with me. The other prisons in the area refused to take me in because of my....track record." I say as I take a swig of vodka.

"You never did say why you killed him. So it's only logical that the police would hound you." He explains.

"I'm surprised neither of you have asked me the reason I killed him yet." I chuckle.

"I don't need to. Because I know that there wasn't one. I think that you wanted people to think that you killed him on purpose so that they wouldn't try and mess with you." He says in a cocky voice.

"Oh, is that so? Explain." I sarcastically say and hand him the bottle.

"Well, the police report stated that you were found standing next to his body with a knife sticking out of his neck. You didn't run away from the scene or try to hide the murder weapon. Plus, I was the first officer at the scene and you said that it was your fault and that you were glad he was dead. But what I never understood is that you weren't the one who called the police." Rick says then takes a swig from my bottle.

"What are you talking about? I did and you must have been the closest one to the crime scene." I explain with a shrug and he hands me the bottle.

"I've never told anyone this but, that night Shane called me and asked me to check in on you because he had to get some paperwork into the station. There was no paperwork was there?" He explains and I cough up a little liquid from my sip.

"So what are you getting at?" I ask once I get my coughing under control.

"You don't have a reason why you killed him because you weren't the one who killed him. Shane killed your father didn't he." Rick explains and I hand him the bottle.

"No. I'm the one that killed my father. Shane had nothing to do with it." I say through gritted teeth.

"Keres. When I got to your house the food on your plates were steaming still. And there were only two plates set at the table."

"Yeah, because it was just my dad and I there. Thank you for proving my point. So I don't know where you got the notion that Shane was there when it happened." I say and he huffs and takes a swig.