Prologue

She's gone.

A bittersweet crushing of his chest caused his ribs to compress. It's just a physical reaction to stress and hormones. No actual damage can be done by this feeling alone. The relief that she was separated from aggressive male attention clashed with the stress of her being out of sight.

She left me.

But that couldn't be true. Even if she knew his intentions, she wouldn't leave him. No. Isla was meant for him.

She was taken from me.

With his rejection resolved, vengeance raged in its place. He would avenge her from those who would hurt her and keep her from him. They didn't want her there, and they didn't want her to be with him.

No one would want them together. It was clear that they all wanted her for themselves, either as a punching bag, a source of gossip, or a mate. It doesn't matter who the Moon Goddess has lined up for him. It was Isla who would make him stronger. He just needs to keep up appearances until it's time.

The pack moved on as if she had never been there. Her father and brother continued their lives as if she had not been living with them just a few days prior. The talk of her hushed after she was attacked from the shadows by cowards, no doubt. If successful, she would have been killed as her mother had been. Perhaps that was the intent.

However, Isla was sturdier than that. He knew what others around her did not, that she had been preparing herself for such an event. She could hide her secret training from everyone but him. He knew. He would never let anyone else know he did.

The proof of her capabilities was in her survival from the ambush. Her unconscious body, found between where she was attacked and her home and covered in more than just her own blood, was brought to the pack hospital once discovered. But after that, he could find out nothing. Was she treated? Was she turned away? Where did she recover? Perhaps she was still on the territory and in hiding.

If so, there would be talk. There was always talk about her. She couldn't still be on the territory. But there is no way to get information on her without drawing attention and making his intentions known.

It's not the right time anyway. There is still more work to be done before he can make a move and bring her into the plan.

She'll return to me.

Their story is not over. It hasn't even begun yet. One way or another, fate will cross their paths again, here or elsewhere. There is no need to follow her. She will walk back into his life. When she does, he will be prepared.