Chapter 10-2

Alec couldn't get himself to do much more than to stare at paperwork all morning. He hadn't seen Isla since dropping her off after the club and was anxious to see her in training today. His wolf would not shut up about being near her again. Gamma Jax recommended that he stay away this morning and let her have time with the rest of the pack.

It seemed like a ridiculous idea, but he knew Gamma Jax had a point. Alec was giving her too much attention, and it was going to be problematic. She can handle herself. But why was this the morning that Gamma Jax had Xander lead?

Xander was a problem. He had the aggression of a wolf with rank but none of the control or sense of responsibility. He was a punk, bringing the other warriors around him down to his level. He's just returned from a four-week hiatus of training duties after a couple incidents with some she-wolves. What Alpha Alec really wanted to do was to beat Xander into the ground every time he was flippant. But Xander's dad was very supportive and an influential pack member. So everyone just hoped that he would grow out of it or find his mate and settle down. Alec laughed when thinking about how hopeful everyone was that he would find his mate at the New Territory.

Jealousy ripped through Alec's chest. There is no fucking way that Isla is Xander's mate. Wood shavings collected at his fingertips, again. The only claw marks on his furniture are from thinking about Isla.

The mindlink opened up, and Alec heard his gamma come through, "Xander is up to his usual show, and Isla is having none of it. They are going to spar."

"I'm on my way!" Alec responded.

"I highly recommend you do not come here," Jax responded. "We know Isla, we know Xander. Your girl has got this."

"Your girl" rang through Alec's head with delight. Someday, maybe. Alec couldn't help but head to the training arena. His compromise was that he would go there slowly. If he was needed, he could respond that much quicker. If he wasn't needed, no one would know he was there.

He was out in the fresh air when he heard Jax come through again. "I'm only telling you this now because you'll kill me later if I don't. Isla is still in control, but Xander has cut through her bra strap."

"That piece of shit!"

"You are correct, Alpha Alec. I still recommend you let her handle this if you want anyone else to lead this group besides us three."

Alec knew his gamma was right, as usual. This pack was so broken when he took over that no one besides Duncan, the former beta, was willing to lead at all. It's been a considerable burden. He needs more leaders. He can't keep bringing in warriors from the other territories.

Alec was already at the arena. He stood outside the door and stared at it.

"How is she doing?" he asked his gamma through the mindlink.

"Exactly how we knew she would do. She's fine."

Alec leaned his back against the outside of the building. She's got this. She's got this. She's got this.

"She's up to something, something big," Jax told him. "She's figured something out... she's luring him...oh."

Jax went silent.

"What is it?" Alec tensed to hold himself outside against the building and not rush in there.

"She's fine. Xander is knocked out but breathing."

Alec took a deep breath.

"She's even put the other warriors in their place. They submitted to her."

"You are holding something back."

"Yes, I am," Jax responded. "She used her breast."

"She used her, what?"

"She distracted him with her breast so she could kick him in the head."

Of all the scenarios to play out in Alec's head, Isla using her tit for a tactical advantage was not one of them. Needless to say, he was stunned.

"Tell her I would like to talk to her when she is done."

"Yes, Alpha Alec."

***

He knew she was there before she knocked.

"Come in."

Isla walked into his office and closed the door behind her.

"I was surprised you weren't at training this morning." Isla broke the ice.

"I can't be there every morning," Alec responded.

Isla accepted his lame excuse without comment.

"So how come you didn't come inside the arena?" She couldn't be absolutely sure he had been there, but she had a nagging feeling that he had been stalking outside.

"Do you want to shower, Isla?" Alec ignored her question. "You smell like blood."

"Another wolf's blood." Isla maintained eye contact, provoking him.

Alpha Alec gritted his teeth at how easily she got to him. As aggravated as he was, seeing her and being around her brought him peace at a depth he didn't recognize before. She soothed his soul even if she riled up his jealousy and pride. She's going to make a great mate.

"Care to tell me how your tit helped you get the best of Xander?" Alec asked through gritted teeth.

"He's an asshole," Isla responded. "Assholes get what assholes deserve."

"And he deserved your breast?"

"Don't you fucking turn this around on me! I'm not going to run around squeamish and not defend myself because some fuck-hole thinks they can humiliate me!" Isla pitched her voice high and in a mocking tone, "Oh my goddess, what am I going to do? He wants to see my titty! Oh nooooooooo! Guess I better use my hands to cover my nipples instead of punching him in the goddess-damned face."

"I'm sure you could have won without exposing yourself!" Alec met her tone.

"It doesn't fucking matter! He tormented Melanie and goddess knows how many others. He tried to torment me. I gave him some of what he wanted and a shit ton of what he didn't want! Maybe if you didn't put assholes in charge, I wouldn't have had to do this!" Isla was breathing heavy and staring at him from across his desk

He stood up, and she tilted her head back to maintain eye contact.

"I need leaders to develop from within the pack, ones that will stand up to Xander and his kind."

No, he's not doing this. He's not going to turn leaving an asshat in charge into some noble cause.

"Very few from this territory are willing to step up into leadership roles," Alec sighed and looked exhausted. "They were broken, and I'm trying to build them up. Sometimes you have to give them a bad guy to rally around. I hate that the bad guy is a fellow pack member, but he needs to learn a lesson too." Alec continued, "I didn't want this to happen, but I also didn't want the alternative to happen. To have a pack so weak that only a few can make decisions and get anything done."

"You don't know how badly I want that to not be true," Isla confessed, but with spite lingering in her voice. She recalled seeing how the room changed, how Melanie changed after she defeated Xander.

Alec nodded.

"I should go shower," Isla responded.

"Did you want to shower here?" Alec offered.

"No, my house will be just fine, thank you." Isla softened her response, confused by the offer.

Alec nodded again, pondering if he heard her correctly calling Xander a fuck-hole.