Chapter 17-1

Almost every pack has a packhouse. They are used for visiting VIPs, including alphas from other packs, and have overflow rooms for their security. High-ranking wolves, including the alpha, beta, gamma, delta, and sometimes the pack doctor or other influential pack members, will live there. It's a status symbol to reside there, which is more like a mansion than a hotel. The alpha, beta, and luna (when the pack has one), often have their offices on the first floor, and there is a commercial-grade kitchen for preparing large meals. This one has a floor for the beta and his family and a separate floor for the Alpha suites. There are also a series of rooms on the first floor for displaced pack members or security details.

Isla's dad insisted they live in the humble house he currently resides in. He wasn't much for a pampered lifestyle supplemented by servants and didn't want to raise his kids that way. Looking back on it, Isla realized that he was probably trying to buffer her and Keith from Johnny and his spoiled ways.

Alec and Isla walked through the front door, and the cool air-conditioned air hit them. Like last time, Isla's nipples went rock hard.

"I'll take you to your room." Alec stole a glimpse of those tips fighting against her tank top. There was nothing he could offer to cover her. Using his aura, he ensured that no one would come across them on their way to her room.

She followed him up past the smaller rooms, past the beta's floor, and to the Alpha suites.

"Here you are."

Isla walked up to the large door, too large to be an interior door, but here it is. She looked around, and across the hall was a set of double doors with a brass plate on the wall, "Alpha Alec Killian."

She crossed her arms and looked at him, lifting an eyebrow.

"Oh, if you want to stay there, we can make arrangements." Alec teased, looking at the doors that open to his bedroom.

Isla rolled her eyes and opened her door. The room was large and airy, furnished primarily in black and white with spurts of color scattered about. The king-sized bed had orange accents, and the sitting area in front of the TV had a blue throw blanket. Soft slippers were placed next to the door for her use, no doubt to comfort her crossing the hard floors throughout the room. Finishing touches to make guests comfortable included a robe hanging from the bathroom door and the fluffiest towels Isla has ever seen folded in the bathroom. A few rugs pulled color across the otherwise dark floors.

"This is very nice," Isla told Alec.

"Glad you like it," He smiled.

Stunned by his pure and simple smile, she fell quiet for a second.

"Sasha left these for you for tonight." Alec rubbed his jaw, "I, uh, don't think she's in a rush to get them back. She won't fit them again until after she has the pup."

"That's sweet of her." Isla picked up the leggings and top. She realized that Alec knew nothing about clothing sizes and was pretty sure that Sasha was not the one who picked these out for her. Alec was in for a surprise. "How far along is she?"

"A couple months, but she's suffering from a lot of bloating, apparently."

"Poor thing. Growing a pup is hard." They both groaned in agreement.

"I'll come back in an hour to take you downstairs."

Isla nodded and headed to the bathroom while Alec saw himself out.

Fifty-nine minutes and thirty seconds later, Isla was relaxing on the bed, trying to figure out the remote. A couple sharp knocks grabbed her attention. She padded her way to the door in the guest slippers and cracked it open just a couple inches, enough to see Alec hovering outside.