Chapter 50-1

"Keep an eye on her until she wakes up." Jackson placed Isla onto her mattress in her cell. "I don't want to leave her when she isn't feeling well, but something urgent came up."

"Yes, Alpha Jackson," Alex dutifully replied. It was apparent that she was beyond not feeling well. The expelled warrior saw her legs and her neck, both disfigured beyond anything he had seen on another wolf outside of battle. That's ignoring the bruises on her face that Alex tried to excuse as rough handling during her transfer. But when they were repeatedly refreshed, he had to accept that they were, in fact, inflicted by Jackson.

As uncle to both Jackson and Alec, his dad's loyalty was to Jackson. Alex was raised knowing that his one true alpha after Alpha Kian was Alpha Jackson. You can't just switch which son would be named alpha to Dark Moon. If so, Alex's dad would have been alpha as he was more competent and deserving than his uncle, Kian.

Alex had been confident in his decision to support Jackson. Still, a couple days before this morning, the reality of Jackson's cruelty hit him. He never thought that Jackson was nice. He wasn't supposed to be. No one wants a nice alpha. But what Alex saw made him realize that Jackson had no respect for what made wolves special. He had no respect for the greatest gift the Moon Goddess gave her wolves, the mate bond.

When he saw Isla struggling with her mate wounds, he realized that Jackson went well beyond coercing her, and he definitely didn't woo her. He had attacked her while she was weakened. He forced himself onto her repeatedly. If he treated his future mate like that, what would he do to the weaker members of the pack? What would he do to those he didn't like, those who had been loyal to Alpha Alec? Jax? Kelvin?

Alex's conscience fought him regardless of what he did. He had been feeling guilty for sending the floorplans of Jackson's hideout to Gamma Jax. Alex justified his deed by saying that if Jax and Alec didn't realize where they were, the floorplans couldn't help them. But if they were coming, it would be essential to know where Isla is. Jax and Alec having the floorplans wouldn't lead them to the location, but it would make the extraction safer. If anyone deserves to not be hurt further, it's her.

Now that he saw her legs, he wished he had sent them the location as well. Alex felt the guilt of contributing to the hell that Isla would face for the rest of her life.

Jackson kissed her head and walked away from her immobile body. Sweat was beading up on her forehead, and it looked like a fever had developed. "I sometimes forget how delicate humans are." Jackson took a couple steps back from her. "She'll be fine at the full moon, though. I doubt she'll even remember being this ill."

The depths of Jackson's arrogance astonished the guard. He could never imagine Alec doing or saying anything like this. Alpha Kian was correct in naming Alec as alpha.

"I'll try to be back tonight. She really shouldn't be without me." Jackson walked through the gate and secured it behind him. Alex knew the cell was to keep other wolves from Isla just as much as it was to keep her in. But her safety was not Jackson's priority. She would be much better off if someone could get to her and nurse her, but Jackson would rather she be untouched by anyone else and suffer than be cared for by someone who wasn't him.

"Yes, Alpha Jackson."

Jackson nodded at Alex and walked down the corridor, shutting off the lights when he got to the elevator.

Alex sat on the floor in the dark with his back against the cold cinder block walls and listened to Isla's labored breaths. He had spent enough nights listening to her sleep from the other side of her bedroom door to know that her breathing was too shallow and too quick.

She was easy to admire. After Alex was assigned to protect her, he got to see up close how Isla worked hard for everything she had but was still generous and accommodating towards others. Many accomplished warriors were dismissive of weaker or less skilled wolves, but she always worked with him with as much vigor as Damon or other far superior warriors.

Alex had happily supported Jackson wanting Isla as luna for Dark Moon. If she was willing to be luna of Dark Moon with Alec as alpha, she would be willing to with Jackson as alpha. Since Jackson was the right and true alpha and would secure the mate bond before she felt her fated mate, she was guaranteed happiness and success. If she bonded to Alec, then she would be killed with Alec when he was overthrown.

He used to think his biggest mistake was helping Alpha Cole. The plan for New Moon to acquire her had been a surprise to Alex. Now he accepts that his biggest mistake was conspiring against her at all. He betrayed Alpha Kian when he didn't accept Alec as the next alpha. He betrayed the Moon Goddess when he didn't accept Alec's victory over Jackson. He betrayed Alec and Isla when he assisted Jackson in kidnapping her. It made sense that he was now aligned with someone who didn't respect the magic of wolves.

About ten minutes later, he heard the elevator open and several sets of footsteps move out. Alex's wolf came to the surface as he surveyed the approaching crowd.

The tall impeding human form of Damon was flanked by several wolves. His footsteps were swift and determined, his head lowered and ready to take on anything that got between him and Isla. The wolves surveyed the rest of the corridor, but Damon's eyes were locked onto his one target.

"You've come for her," Alex announced, relieved.

Alex had only a tiny amount of hope that he would survive an attack by Dark Moon if one came. He had the chance to leave, but that would mean leaving Isla in Jackson's hands and living the life of a rogue. After everything, he couldn't do that to her. He didn't know what he could do to help her, but he would always try. The traitor chose to stay and hoped that he would survive. But did he want to live just to spend the rest of his life in a cell?

The decision was made for him without a second thought. Alex lay on the ground dying, blood escaping his body through a hole Damon cut using one of Isla's throwing knives. He found blessed relief in that he did something to help her. He knows they called Jackson out of the house based on the note sent to Jax. He knows this attack was planned around his information. It won't right the wrongs he did, but it has prevented Isla from further suffering.

The last thing he saw was the cell door being blown open, and peace fell over him for the first time since Alpha Alec had been titled. They are both escaping the house. Him to the Moon Goddess and her to Alpha Alec. They are both going to be free.