Chapter 13

The night breeze was carrying the heat of the day away with it, cooling off Isla and her team as they hovered around the Winter Creek area. Yesterday, Keith and Alpha Alec left early in the morning, heading to the Northern Territory. Alec was doing an overnight and would be back sometime this evening if he wasn't back already.

Isla's first patrol had been last night and relatively uneventful. A couple of wolves on patrol came by, no doubt to witness the strange sight of Isla with her bow making her way through the shadows. This being the second night after the full moon and overcast, the darkness was more plentiful than the night she and Alpha Alec got into it against the training arena.

"Animal activity, west of Winter Creek," was announced through the mindlink.

Animals often feel the prey reaction to the presence of werewolves, which causes them to act differently. If a rogue is in the area, the first signs picked up on will be odd behavior by other animals in the forest. These calls are announced a couple times a shift, and the standard protocol is to investigate. Since this is in the vicinity of Isla, she decided to take a closer look at her options to climb and prepare. Peter and Alex were nearby but not within eyeshot. Because they were not a standard patrol, they didn't want to have the footprint or attention of one.

"Rogues on territory." Came another announcement through the mindlink and Isla's adrenaline kicked in.

Gamma Jax's voice came through. "Report location."

"Up Winter Creek, three clicks from the boundary" she heard Galan's voice come through. And what do you know? She was in his patrol area tonight.

Isla looked around and found the route a rogue would take if they ran in her direction. Along the low point of a valley, out of sight from most vantage points along the ground.

"Team Red is west of Winter Creek, four clicks from the boundary, top of Crescent Valley," Isla announced to Galan and the other patrol leads.

"Multiple Rogues. At least three." Came through the link.

"Reinforcements will scrub up Winter Creek from five clicks in. Ten minutes until in position." Jax came through.

Isla did the math. There is no way reinforcements would get to her before the rogues. This is what she is here for.

The archer stilled and opened up her senses. More than her hearing, her scenting, and her eyesight, she needed to feel what was coming towards her.

Anger. Anger was approaching from the valley.

Isla quickly and quietly climbed a nearby tree marked and known by her team.

"Isla treebound at top of Crescent Valley." She announced to the leads. To Alex and Peter, "I'm in the tree we drilled from three nights ago, the one Peter picked out."

"Copy, Isla. We'll take our positions and wait." Alex replied through the link.

Everything was quiet for a few minutes. The bristling of the leaves was muted. The mindlink was silent. Even when the breeze kissed her face, it was hushed.

Isla moved a few arrows from the quiver on her back to the one on her hip for easier access. The smells of the forest carried up the valley to her. Dirt, moss, leaves, balsam, and something else.... Rogues.

"Four Rogues heading up Crescent Valley, males." The announcement broke the silence in the mindlink.

Isla got into position, scanning the valley that stretched out beside her, facing down where the rogues would be running up.

"Correction, five rogues. Chasing five rogues up the valley."

"I'm in position. Bring them by." Isla responded.