Chapter 26

They were waiting for her in formation when Isla walked through the large doors to the gym.

General training has a lot of wolves who will never be warriors but still may have to defend themselves and others when a warrior cannot be there. This room was filled with those who went out of their way to fight and protect the territory. When she saw them all lined up, she realized how big they really were. Even at five-foot-nine-inch, she was dwarfed by them.

Jax was right there with her. As formidable a force as any in front of her, two paces behind and looking over her shoulder.

Warrior Damon made a single call from front and center, "WOO WOO HA," and a resounding and sharp "WOO WOO HA" came from the group, thundering through the gym. Her breath caught at the intensity of the call-and-response, and she stiffened.

From a mere foot behind her, a deep bold voice called back at the collection of killers assembled in front of her. "WOO WOO HA!" The gamma's right foot stomped with a thud.

The response was an overwhelming "WOO WOO HA!" from the crowd and a coordinated stomp of their right feet. Breaking their parade rest, they stayed in a semi crouched position awaiting the next move.

"WOO WOO HA!" thundered from behind her as well as a thud of a left foot crashing down. The returning cadence was a "WOO WOO HA!" and a left stomp, leaving the pack crouched with both knees bent.

Alec and Kelvin were off to the side. They had stomped and yelled with the fighters but didn't hold their same poses. This was their celebration, not the alpha or the beta's. The warriors were welcoming her back as one of them.

"WOO WOO HA!" again exploded from behind her and she flinched just a little less. A loud clap echoed and Jax placed his hand on the small of her back, signaling that it's almost time to howl.

"WOO WOO HA!" and a single clap of applause filled the space.

Isla inhaled, clenched her throat, lifted her chin to straighten her neck, and with all the energy she could put into it, released her howl. For a couple seconds, her voice hung in the air. The throaty call deep from her gut, echoing off the walls and falling over the warriors, let them know that she recovered, that she was strong and that she was there with them. Alec picked up her howl as promised, followed by Kelvin and Jax. Howls started erupting from the formation. Isla ran out of breath first, listening to the variations throughout the group. She could hear that the warriors were moving around, jumping, and heard shenanigans interwoven in the howl. Letting the experience wash over her, taking away her intimidation, again showing her that she was one of them. She left her face lifted and kept her eyes closed as they fell out one by one, leaving one howl hanging. Warrior Damon was the last and then fell silent. She lowered her face and looked out to them.

It was then that she noticed the empty place next to Damon. She looked over the warriors as they returned to their places and walked to the open spot next to her soon-to-be partner. His eyes were trained forward as she approached and fell into formation next to him.

"Team Lima," Jax yelled out. "How many takedowns have you had this year?"

A warrior responded, "Two, Gamma Jax," and a "WOO WOO HA!" erupted from several members of the group. Jax nodded at the patrol lead.

"Team Tango, you've had takedowns. How many?"

A proud wolf spoke up, "Two, Gamma Jax."

"WOO WOO HA!"

"Team Bravo, you've had quite a few. How many takedowns have you had this year?"

Damon yelled out, "Five takedowns, Gamma Jax."