Chapter 15

Slightly buzzed from friends and champagne, Isla was on her way home to ponder her steak dinner situation. She had fun showing off when she committed to this not-a-date, but maybe Alec was right. Maybe she was too flirty.

No, he wasn't. She is a single she-wolf making the most of her summer and that includes a meal that she can't afford during the school term. She earned this. Maybe not in the traditional sense like work, get a paycheck, lose a third of her income to taxes, buy gas and pay bills, then see if there's enough for this dinner. A deal is a deal and if these new warriors are so smug that they underestimate her, then that's on them. Besides, her family is home. It's not like she's going to be alone with Damon.

What about Alec though? Well, what about him? He flat out said that he has no claim on her and that light-switch he has where he turns things off cold as soon as he isn't angry anymore says a lot now doesn't it. Maybe Damon is willing to trust her enough to have a summer fling without going all light-switch-twitchy on her.

She got home and showered, washing her hair to bring out the curls that her hat had smooshed down and changing into something less casual. Going through her clothes, she didn't really have something for a "not-date" steak dinner. She ended up with a pair of short white shorts and an off-the-shoulder loose top. Tan sandals finished it off.

Isla came downstairs to gunshots, blood, and some creative and colorful language.

"I didn't know you played video games, dad." Her father's hands gripped the controller and waved it to the side in hopes his player would jump with as much enthusiasm. His brogue camouflaging his R rated verbiage as cute old-man Scottish sayings.

"Aye, wee one," her dad said to the TV but loud enough for her to hear. "Ye'r brother got a couple of good ones. Oh, I wasn't supposed to call you that in front of these two, was I? Now that you're a killer and all."

So long as she was in the house, only one of the two bodyguards could be distracted by a video game. She could tell Alex was itching to play with the other two. His longing looks as blood and guns splashed across the scene was enough to pity.

Peter had to have known he was just instructed to piss himself by the former beta of Winter Moon. Her dad isn't that good at hiding his insults.

Just then a van on the TV exploded, or a plane or a building. The knocking at the door was heard over the calls for Peter to get stuffed. Isla made a move to answer, but the ever-attentive Alex got there first. Not distracted by killing her dad in a video game left him available for his duties.

He opened the door to a tall, dark haired warrior with bright eyes and burdened by bags of take-out.

With screams of defeat behind her, she pushed past Alex to open the screen door.

"Come on in. Don't mind the noise. No one is actually dying, yet." The warrior passed her and she got a whiff of the most enchanting fragrance. What cologne could that be?

"I heard that your grandma and dad would be in tonight so I brought them dinner as well," Damon delivered a devastating smile that would have melted just about any she-wolf, and many males, in range of it.