Chapter 36-2

It was a cooler night, colder than Isla thought it would be, and for that she was grateful. Fine hairs danced in the breeze as she shared the stage with Luna Nikki and Alpha Alec, the latter was currently addressing the pack. Since Alec was not mated, Luna Nikki was still the titled luna and would participate in ceremonies like this.

Alec delivered his introductory remarks with the rear of the packhouse as a backdrop. Isla watched how natural he was in front of the pack, how just being there would cause them to awe and calm. He brought out the best in them. Isla saw they wanted him as their alpha.

"The warrior tattoo," he continued over a sea of heads, "is over your right shoulder as a symbol of your own personal strength." Isla found that ironic coming from a left-handed alpha. "Your left shoulder is reserved for your alpha tattoo, a place of honor, near your heart, to show your loyalty and commitment. Warrior Isla has earned her personal tattoo, a symbol of her ability to defend Dark Moon with skill and strength. The Scarlet Hunter!"

The applause had been building since he said her name and reached its crescendo after finishing and raising his arm to invite her forward. Her heels elongated her already lengthy legs and forced her into a uniquely feminine stride, pushing out her butt and smoothing the movement of her shoulders. She walked forward and took his hand, stepping in front of him, his hands on her shoulders from behind. Her hair had a single braid in it on her right side, falling down her back, holding her copper locks off her shoulder, and the remaining curls flowed over her left shoulder. Alec's large hands reached over and removed her crescent pin, pulling off her scarf and revealing her tattoo in full display on her bare shoulder.

The applause returned, filled with whistles and yelling when they saw her marking. Two arrows, crossed into an X, pointing up, with a thin ribbon of pink and green tied around the middle. The trailing pieces of the ribbon were blowing in the wind. The arrowheads were sharp and thin, but the coloring was done with a watercolor effect, contrasting against the harshness of the shape. It was both sharp and feminine, strong and smooth. It was a combination of nature created by the Moon Goddess and tools developed by man and wielded by Isla. A tattoo in a location that is usually a dip between a swollen pectoral and harsh deltoid, now nestled in the soft flesh between a breast and a collar bone. A few warrior chants of "WOO WOO HA!" filled the air and only calmed down after Luna Nikki came to one side, Alpha Alec on the other, and escorted Isla from the stage.

The three of them were greeted by a crowd as they stepped down. Compliments were paid, and many people looked at her tattoo closely. The immediate group broke, and Luna Nikki gave Isla a kiss on the cheek before saying goodbye and walking away on the arm of Alpha Kian.

Jax had his own crowd but stepped away from it once he saw Isla and Alec were in the clear. "Congratulations, Isla. Well deserved." Jax paid her a compliment. "And a beautiful piece. It is perfect." Isla leaned in and gave Jax a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, Jax. You know this is all because of you, right?"

"Not all. I just pointed you in the right direction. You took it from there." Jax praised.

Music was playing, and guests queued for the buffet. Those who weren't in line were mingling near the bar, the dance floor, or around tables. Isla made her way through the crowd while Alpha Alec attended his own conversations.

She was approached first by a mated pair with an eight-month-old. Alec looked over in time to see the pup lean forward and reach out to be held by his girlfriend. Heat spread across his chest as he watched the beautiful sight of her holding a pup, so naturally. The little girl started slapping the tattoo with her wet hands, probably drawn to its colors. Thankfully it was fully healed, but the accumulation of drool that the child got on her would have to be cleaned up.