Chapter 5-1

"What do you mean the final is happening right now?" Isla pleaded with a passing student. "I don't even know where my class is!" The tank top, and only a tank top, she was wearing was not providing her the coverage she was accustomed to. If she doesn't look down, it's not real. Her lady bits aren't being exposed to everyone else in the quad. Nope. Just don't look down. How envious she was of the students walking past her in groups, fully clothed, knowing exactly where they were going.

I don't belong here. How did I let this happen?

Everything felt fuzzy and heavy. As panic rose to Isla's throat with the thought of having to retake a class, a surge of power overcame her. A wave started at her feet and rolled up her body, compressing her as it traveled, surrounded her, and rose her core temperature with her arousal. Fear and excitement, a sense of command held her. Her body reacted, and her mouth opened with a breathy moan as the student body president directed her to the waiting tractor that would take her home. The farm vehicle rustled as it passed through bushes and approached her.

Her eyes, which she thought were already open, opened.

The dreamy fog cleared over a few fluttering blinks. The view of the ceiling alternated with that of a sexy backhoe, was it? How could she get so worked up over industrial farm equipment? Maybe she was heading for the wrong career field. Is it too late to transfer over to agricultural engineering?

Her window cast in the mid-morning light. She loved how long the days were getting, but it was too bright. There was way too much sunshine for it to be seven-thirty. Her heart made a short trip and crashed into her stomach.

She was late.

Grabbing one of the few items on her nightstand, her phone calmly tells her it's 9:08 a.m., as if it hasn't just delivered the worst news she's had in three years. Blankets and a gasp were in the air, and adrenaline was in her veins as she got her feet to the floor as quickly as she could.

Definitely past eight-thirty. Definitely going to piss off my new, scary, hot alpha. Definitely going to find out what his limit for insubordination is today. Hopefully, find out what his punishment is... no, stop thinking about that and just get there. This is a miserable pep talk.

A shadow to her right moved, and instinctively she faced off towards the intruder.

A reactionary thought process honed by years of practice overtook her. Her eyes narrowed, her body tensed, and she reacted to the threat.

Sizing up her would-be assailant and the pending attack: Human-man shaped. Aggressive approach. Defend self from a distance.

Before her mind recognized who was approaching her, her arm had thrown a warning shot. A knife was firmly lodged in Alec's right shoulder by the time she knew who she was defending herself against. The squelch of metal penetrating leather, skin, and muscle brought with it the cold realization of how badly she had messed up.

Alpha Alec. Noooooo.....

Isla froze, with two more knives from her nightstand already in her hands, poised for a second throw. She was targeting the intruder's thick, beautiful, strong neck for her next target. This was not going to be another warning shot.

Not an intruder, your alpha. Alpha fucking Alec.

Another of her gasps joined them when he paused his approach, most likely recalibrating his anger a notch higher with the new piece of steel that he was holding in his flesh. The handle barely moved with his deep breath, and without breaking eye contact, he continued to close the gap between them. Her eyes grew as wide as they could, and wetness ensued below. Shock and horror at the situation were all she felt, including how her body was betraying her.