Chapter 6: Nothing Is Promised

{ Martie's POV }

"Ain't none of this shit promised, ain't none of this promised
Ain't none of this shit promised, ain't none of this promised
Ain't none of this shit certain, ain't none of this certain
Ain't none of us perfect, I hope it was worth it"

He extended his hand as the sound of the engines got louder. I gave him a look but handed over the piece of my mother that I didn't quite understand. The brushing of our hands made my heart beat a little faster but I chocked it up to the fact that I was about to be surrounded by a bunch of random people while I intruded on their funeral party.

"Who's the lady, darlin'?"

My arms crossed as I tilted my head. He examined the photo and his eyes glanced back up at me.

"My mother. My name is Martie, by the way."

"Jax."

I watched him for a quick second before he handed me back the photo. He took another pull from the cigarette before he gestured to the funeral party.

"You should go," he sounded mysterious like he was hiding something.

Without another word, I stepped away and headed to my car that was parked just a little ways off from where the funeral party of bikers had stopped and parked. I watched the funeral for a moment before I pulled off leaving them in my rear view mirror.

I had a party to get to.

[[[ ]]]

"Where you been?", my mom asked as she braided my little sister, Sherice's, hair.

I threw my keys on the table and walked over to where they both were sitting, chilling, watching the Real Housewives of wherever. I grabbed a handful of Chex Mix and sat down on the sofa opposite of them.

"Riding around the city. It's like a new city with my very own car to drive," I lied through my teeth.

"Can I drive it?", Sherice asked.

"No!", my mom and I yelled at the same time. She smacked her lips and crossed her arms.

"Girl, insurance already high with her being young. I don't need it going up cause of an accident," Mom explained as she continued to part and braid the younger girl's thick, curly hair.

I was thankful that she didn't give me a long speech about not checking in especially since it was my first time driving in my new car with my new license.

"I'm going to head upstairs and take a shower before staying in. I's too tired, boss."

Mom laughed and Sherice pushed me out of the way as I blocked a girl fight on the TV when I stood up. I pinched her shoulder and moved away before she could throw her fist towards me.

"Y'all stop that fighting! You fight strangers, not each other!", she yelled her favorite rule.

Sherice rolled her eyes but I could see the evil scheme in her facial expression before she turned back to the TV. My little sister was evil and I had seen her do some pretty mean stuff. But I was ten steps ahead of her.