Chapter 23: Spread Thin

Baby, you're the reason
You always think the only one who needs any attention is you
Don't be so conceited
Hope you know honesty was the only thing that could keep me from leavin'
Baby, you're the reason
You always think the only one who needs any attention is you
Don't be so conceited
Hope you know honesty was the only thing that could keep me from leavin'

First things first, I had to have a meeting with the men my uncle had appointed me leadership over. I got a call and just days later I was given a location to meet up with his right hand, August Marks, so I could be introduced to these men.

I brought along my best friend and confidant who as I said before was my ride or die. She thought this new venture was exciting, if not a little wild. Not only would I be involved in family business. It was the same business that killed my grandmother.

"You think it's true that he killed her?", Paula asked as she finished getting all dolled up for our meeting.

Not that she was looking for anyone, the girl just loved to look cute. I could relate because make up on or off we were some bad bitches.

"Why would my mom lie?"

The question was rhetorical. I knew the answer and could feel the next question that she almost asked but I pinned her with a look. Yes, she lied to me for the better part of my life but here we were on a new page trying to be better.

"Whatever," Paula lined her lips one last time before rubbing both lips together to blend her lipstick and liner. "You going to this party at the clubhouse tonight?"

I rolled my eyes.

She has been trying to get me to get out and go see Jax for the past two weeks. I made excuses about the house and getting it presentable but she knew I was stalling us seeing each other. Plus I just felt like we were both on different paths.

Paula threw her hands up in surrender.

"Don't get mad when you miss out on your husband. I'm just your fairy godmother trying to point you in the right direction."

"We can't all just fuck and leave, Paul. I'll be outside when you're done," I snapped, annoyed.

I don't understand why people push and push for you to try to agree with something you don't. I had real feelings for Jax and if he hurt me, I don't know how I would feel.

You'll never know until you try.

____

Now I'm left to you wonder, how I let this go under?
How I could watch it rain for so long and ain't hear no thunder?
And we led all our Hollywood dreams end in a blunder
How I may never see you again, I hate when the summer ends
But it always would, and you'll always be disappointed
'Cause you're insecure, chasin' things you thought you wanted
Like you thought you could
Just get further with frontin'
And if Hollywood is home now it's just a house that is haunted

"This is Damon Pope's niece and your new boss," August Marks gestured to me as I stood off to the side looking every bit a bad bitch with a mean mug that could make men drop to their knees.

I stepped up just as one of them started to laugh.

"Got a problem?"

August opened his jacket to reveal his gun and stood in a threatening manner towards the gentleman that dared give me a wrong word or look.

"Nah, lil mama. No disrespect," he glanced between us before putting his head down.

"I didn't think so! Anybody else have anything to say," I glanced around to look between the 30 men that stood before me. "Ok... my name is Martie. I can't say I will be an upgrade from my uncle but treat me good, I'll treat you better."

"Any problems call her. Anything overlooked will be on her but if she needs to enforce, oh best believe, I will be here to help," August made sure to give them all a stern look.

Paula nodded in the back with a smirk on her face. I just gave her a look and kept glancing at everyone to see their reactions. No smiles, no laughter, just serious faces all around.

"You get to know your new friends and I'll see you later, Martie. Let me know if you need anything."

I waved goodbye as he left Paula and me alone with my new crew.

"Martie, I'm Jalen and this is Marco, JT, Rick, Shawn, and Craig. I apologize for Shawn's earlier behavior but we ain't used to no fine broad telling us what to do," a dark skinned man with pearly white teeth, a black beanie, and a tattoo on his neck and arm.

He seemed like he had the sense of all of these men put together. Or maybe he had been around long enough to know that my uncle would gladly put a bullet in each of their heads no questions with just one phone call from me.

"First of all, she's not just some fine broad as you so kindly stated," Paula snapped popping her gum. "She's your fucking boss so treat her like the boss bitch that she is or deal with me!"

"Damn y'all mean," Rick stated. He was light skinned with tattoos on his neck and arms standing at 6'0 with nice, soft looking lips.

Paula rolled her neck and I almost laughed but I was trying to be very serious. They were pretty funny but I just needed to get the point across and this wasn't it.

"Hey! Just know that if anyone of you steps out of line. My uncle will be the last of your worries. A bullet will hit you before you can utter and explanation. Play with me and I'll give your families something to do on a lovely Sunday."

"Got it."

All of them nodded solemnly looking as if the message finally got through their thick skulls that a female would be their boss from here on out.

"Jalen, here's my number. You are the direct line to my phone but don't ever call me off your personal line. Pay phone or burner. Everyone else will get their info through you so if anything gets messed up in communication...", I gave him a cold hard look. " I will shoot the messenger. Any questions?"

My trigger finger was ready to put anyone down that felt they were going to rise above what we were trying to do. I was in charge for a reason. My leadership skills could help us improve our operations and get us to the money as quickly as we could.

No one spoke up giving me the impression that they were following along fine.

"Okay. That's all for now."

I handed Jalen a piece of paper with my number scribbled on it and told him that this would be our meeting place until I could find something better. We would work out the details but the meetings were to happen either at 1am Thursday night or 2pm Sunday. I needed time to collect my thoughts and hear what they were doing on a weekly basis.

"Let's go, Paul."

"Bye, Marco." Paula waved at Marco who didn't even look her type.

"I thought you were trying something with Chibs?", I raised a brow at her licking her lip and trying to make her butt jiggle as she walked away to the car.

"I am," she grumbled. "But I'm only a young lady who needs to be given constant attention, if you know what I mean."

I gave up trying to understand her need for sexual attention because she had so many men running behind her that it wasn't funny. She dumped her man to pursue Chibs and now that she had him, she was on to the next. But it was her game and I wanted to watch it play out.

"Whatever you say. Let's go home."