Chapter 14: Simon Says

"Simon says put your hands on your hips, huh
Simon says put your hands on your knees, ayy
Simon says put your hands on your feet, ayy
Simon says bust it open like a freak, ayy
Simon says put your hands on your hips, yeah
Simon says put your hands on your knees, ayy
Simon says put your hands on your feet, ayy
Simon says bust it open like a freak, ah"

I called my mother in the morning after I woke up in the bed, all alone. Paula had came to bed with me last night but I guess she wanted to have a nightcap with Chibs. She did me the kind service of locking the door while I was sleeping so that I wouldn't be bothered by anyone.

"He's here, but he wants nothing to do with me. I'm only staying here for awhile. I'll be back home soon," I assured my mother of my safety as I ran a hand over my gun.

Fortunately for Clay, I wasn't a cold blooded murderer but I knew that if he or any of his club members tried it, I'd end them. No questions asked.

"I told you it was bad news going, Martie."

"Clarisse, I'm fine."

"Why are you calling me by my first name?", my mother asked but when I remained silent she put the pieces together.

"They don't know about me?"

I took a deep breath and sat down on the bed.

This was all dangerous. Me being here when my own father wanted to kill my mother and barely wanted me to exist. If I were ever in danger, my mother would be bringing herself down here to help and it would cause even more trouble.

I should just leave.

Whatever I felt with Jax wasn't enough to endanger my family. Especially since my mother had been running her whole life to protect me and herself. I couldn't throw all her hard work away.

A knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts.

"I should go. I'll call or text you if there's anything else," I ended the call and put my phone in my back pocket.

I unlocked the door and let the person on the other side in. It was Jax. He carried a styrofoam plate filled with breakfast foods. I smiled at the gesture which was pretty sweet.

"Thanks, Prince Charming."

"How did you sleep?", he asked.

I shrugged my shoulders after I opened the plate and used my fork to stab into my eggs.

They were delicious and I was once again proven wrong about the cook. I put my plate down and looked at Jax for a second.

He looked in his late 20s with a blonde scruffy mustache and beard, long blonde hair, and a very handsome yet young face. He already told me that he had a son and he was a gang member. This shouldn't be such a hard decision.

"I need to leave. This is a bad idea."

Jax turned to look at me and I could see something flash in his blue eyes.

"Thought I could have you all to myself for a while," he flirted as he sat down beside me on the bed and when he saw my gun, he pointed to it. "You know how to use that?"

"Yeah. I can handle it."

"I bet you can," Jax looked me up and down with that predatory smirk of his.

"I'm serious, Jax," I shoved his shoulder gently. I smiled at our easy way of joking with one another. "I need to leave before someone gets hurt."

"How about we go for a ride and I get to know you a little better before you decide to run off and never come back?"

I bit my lip at the suggestion but finally gave in.

"Sure, why not."

[[[ ]]]

After about an hour and a half of riding on the back of his motorcycle, Jax stopped us at the park that we had seen each other again for the second time. I climbed off and rubbed my butt to get some of the feeling back.

"I could do that for you," Jax joked but his hands were closing in on my butt before I could stop him.

"Boy please."

"Through the tights, you can see this fat, ayy
Through them pockets, I can see a racks, ayy
I'm a money making, no cap, ayy
Hottest out but you already knew that
Even if I brought him to you, still couldn't get your boo back
I ain't finna argue with you, this ain't how we do that
You was already mad, I'm just addin' somethin' to that, ayy"

I moved out of his reach and we walked over to the picnic table to sit down. We both sat down across from each other.

Jax and I spoke for hours and hours like we had known each other for years. He would look at his phone whenever he got a call but ignored whoever was on the other end. I teased him about it being his baby mama or the girl from the hospital. He didn't say who it was but continued our talk.

"You know something?"

"What?"

"You're the first person besides my best friend and family that I have ever just told so much about myself."

"Does that mean you like me?", he raised a brow in question while trying to hide a smile.

I shrugged and just ran a hand over my edges that had started to sweat out by the sun.

"Something like that," my phone vibrated and I sent a quick text to Paula before standing up. "That's my cue. I wish this didn't have to end but..."

"Okay, if I'm honest it looks like you're allowing fear to run you away. You usually let other people control you like this?"

I rolled my eyes at the assumption. It's not about me and sometimes it feels like it never is but one thing I'm not about to have on my conscious is my family being hurt because I like a man. I barely just met him and I felt butterflies and warm and safe when I was in Jax's presence but it wasn't something I could hold onto.

I leaned over and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Thank you, but it's just the way this goes."

Jax nodded finally just letting things be. He stood as well and took me back to the shop where Paula sat on Chibs' bike with his talking to her. I walked over after waving goodbye to Jax.

"Let's go, sis. Chibs, nice meeting you," I gestured with my head for Paula to come with me.

Chibs gave me a quick hug before pecking me on the cheek. He gave Paula a hug but kissed her on the lips making her mumble something with a huge blush on her face.

They were so cute.

I glanced around and noticed that Jax was leaning against the door with his mom beside him and they were passing a cigarette back and forth. I saw the hate in her eyes for me but something in Jax that cancelled it out.

"Um, yeah..."

We moved to the car and I quickly got in to start and hurried from the parking lot once Paula was inside and her seatbelt was snug against her body.

I drove us out of this town.

"You okay?", Paula asked with a hand on mine.

I gave her a half smile as I turned to face her. She knew me better then I knew myself sometimes. I didn't know what I felt so I just ignored the sad emotions threatening to explode and decided to turn up the music.

"Simon Says put your hands on your hips!", I sang loudly getting her to drop the conversation and sing along with me.

We were putting it behind us.

It just wasn't meant to be.